ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:12 pm 
former lurker

Over the past 9 months I've lost about 25 pounds and am down to about 132. I am pretty short guy at approx. 5'3" and I am not a muscular person so I think 130-135 is a good range for me, and am fairly happy with weight now.

The problem is, I've been doing a lot of cardio (45 min including warmup and cooldown, at a moderate pace) and some relatively light weights, mostly using the machines at the gym (as they have instructions pasted on them), afterwards to lose the fat, and this has led to some massive veinage in my forearms.

They are fairly thick, not spider veins, and they pop out when I get my blood flowing, or even sometimes when I'm just sitting around with my arms held below chest level. I think this is disgusting, since it's not just one or two veins running down the forearms, but more like 6-7, with a few connecting veins running between some of them. Since I do not have Popeye size forearms the sight is not a pretty one.

Is there any way to reduce the vein prominence? Would it be the cardio that is causing most of the vein growth? Any insights would be appreciated.

I am sorry, folks, but I do not have a digital camera so pics are not available.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:50 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I know a lot of tennis players have this problem. Where their entire forearm is just filled with veins sticking out like crazy, even when they are just letting them hang on their sides.

I dunno what to say though. There's no real way to "prevent" your bloodflow, so your veins will always be there. I guess maybe get a darker tan so they don't stand out as much? I dunno. Maybe some chicks find that sexy, haha.