Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: good routine???
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:02 am 
Novice
Novice

Hi all
When i thinking about routines and programs using in training found that training first 3 days like:-
First day: chest + triceps
(flat bench press + incline bench press+ pec dek + pushdown)
Second day:back + biceps
(front lat pull down+ seated row + back extension+ cable curl)
Third day: shoulder + traps
(font raise+ lateral raise+ bent over lateral raise+ internal and extrnql rotation + DB shrug)
Doing all of this from (5-6) sets and 10 reps
And abs i doing it at home all time and about legs not now because i need strong upper body fast
Then repeat every thing again and the day number 7 rest
Doing all of this for 2 week then change the exercises but target the same muscle group
What your opinion about this???

Post subject: Re: good routine???
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:34 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Skipping legs will hold you back, even if upper-body is your top priority. Likewise, changing exercises every 2 weeks will also hold you back. It takes more than two training sessions just to learn a new lift, let alone find the right loading and start getting stronger.

Finally, I wouldn't recommend a high-volume bodybuilding program for strength training. If you want to get stronger, find a good strength program and work on getting stronger all over, not just above the waist.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:59 am 
Novice
Novice

I have 3 comment
1- i say 4 session in 2 week
2- how untraining legs hold progress of my back
3- im begainer so i have to increase the volume , i don't need to bulking very fast
And sorry my eng not so good im arabian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:53 am 
Novice
Novice

mohamed wrote:
Hi all
When i thinking about routines and programs using in training found that training first 3 days like:-
First day: chest + triceps
(flat bench press + incline bench press+ pec dek + pushdown)
Second day:back + biceps
(front lat pull down+ seated row + back extension+ cable curl)
Third day: shoulder + traps
(font raise+ lateral raise+ bent over lateral raise+ internal and extrnql rotation + DB shrug)
Doing all of this from (5-6) sets and 10 reps
And abs i doing it at home all time and about legs not now because i need strong upper body fast
Then repeat every thing again and the day number 7 rest
Doing all of this for 2 week then change the exercises but target the same muscle group
What your opinion about this???

I dont recommend this program. this is how i started out copying a routine of a famous bodybuilder which called for 6 training days a week and i made barely progress despite being a newb. MORE IS not always more(very rarely actually). If you do 4 exercises for a muscle you wont grow double fast than if you would do only 2 exercises.
It is your decision if you want to train legs or not, but i can tell you a strong upperboddy will look stupid on flamingo legs(http://dannymclarty.com/wp-content/uplo ... flexed.jpg)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:01 am 

"1- i say 4 session in 2 week" - mohamed

True. Still 4 sessions isn't enough to get comfortable with a new lift, find the right loading and make real progress. By the end of 2 weeks you'll just be getting to the point where you can START improving.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:03 am 

"2- how untraining legs hold progress of my back" - mohamed

How do you expect to do heavy barbell rows if your hamstrings, glutes and erectors are weak?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:12 am 

"3- im begainer so i have to increase the volume , i don't need to bulking very fast" - mohamed

A) If you're a beginner than you don't need a lot of volume to make gains.
B) The program you're describing is an advanced bodybuilding program (minus the leg training). In other words, it's a bulking program. If you're more interested in strength than size, you should train for strength. ... Alternately, if you're more interested relative strength and strength endurance you might try some kind of bodyweight program.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:58 am 

And training 6 days per week is not wise for anyone except an elite bodybuilder. Your muscles grow during the rest time. For a beginner or for most intermediates (that's almost all of us here) there should be at least 1 rest day between every training day. A few can get away with training several days in a row, but they have to plan their lifting very carefully.

About legs. They have proportionally more muscle than your upper body. If you goal is to get strong, you MUST train your legs. They are the foundation of your "house". You wouldn't build a nice house on a weak foundation. Whatever you want to do with your upper body, it is facilitated by your legs. The exercises that train your legs best also train your core and your back. If you want to be healthy and strong, train legs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:48 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

mohamed wrote:
...2- how untraining legs hold progress of my back...

Squats and Deadlifts are two examples for exercises that train more than "just" the legs... You have to stabilize your whole body in order to do them the right way and because much muscle-mass is used and activated the body will have to response quicker to the stress and adapt...

Two strength workouts, often recommended for beginners, are "Starting Strength" and StrongLifts 5x5...

Both use two alternating workouts (A and B) that should be done three days a week with (at least) one day rest between training days (for example Mon., Wed. and Fri.).

Starting Strenght:
A: Squats 3x5, Press 3x5, Deadlift 1x5
B: Squats 3x5, Bench Press 3x5, Power Cleans 5x3

Stronglifts 5x5:
A: Squats 5x5, Bench Press 5x5, Bent-over Row 5x5
B: Squats 5x5, Press 5x5, Deadlifts 1x5

"Just" a few compound exercises with barbells that train the whole body...

Another variant would be a wholebody program that is done two to three times a week like:
Squats, Bench Press, Row, Deadlift, Press, Chin-up (or Pull-up) with a Set/Rep-Scheme like 2x8 when training 3x/week and 3x8 when training 2x/week.

In order to progress fast, you should use a little more weight each time as long as you keep proper technique...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:31 pm 
Novice
Novice

From answer of you all i know im wrong and when search in our site to choose the comfortable routine for me in this link http://exrx.net/Workouts/Workout2PP.html
Un guildlines it say when choose laterl raise must put it with push day to decrease overuse of suprspinatus but i didn't noticed any exercise use suprspinatus in pull day
Another thing it say when doing upright row must put it pull day to decrease overuse of elbow flexors although i seeing biceps in pull day and no elbow flexor exercises in push day
Can some one explain it to me???

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:40 pm 

You're probably better off with one of the programs mentioned earlier (or something similar). Then later, you can try Upper/Lower or Legs/Push/Pull.