Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: General Questions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:53 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi Guys, just a few general questions and please correct me if I'm wrong

Pulls ups work the lats more, and chin ups work biceps more. Is there any difference between how they work shoulders, rhomboids and traps?

Always do pull ups leading with the chest, driving the elbows to the floor? Going down for 1 second slowly, accelerating back up.

The reverse grip bench press, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-anatomy-of-the-chest.htm, better for the upper chest, I'm assuming this can be done with dumbbells...

A wanna start yoga at home, does anyone have any good suggestions where to start, video's they used themselves, or how you can tell its working for you?

Post subject: Re: General Questions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:20 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

the difference in back musculature activation between chins and pull ups is probably evident on paper, but not anything you'd notice in real life. Just pick one, get better at it, then when progress stalls do a different one.

Reverse grip bench press has been shown through EMG studies (not everyone agrees EMG studies really tell us anything btw) to be better than incline presses for upper chest activation but meh, I'm not convinced. Considering every bodybuilder in the world does inclines and not reverse grip presses, I'd be inclined (see what I did there?) just to do normal inclines.

As for doing it with dumbells, that seems like it'd be much more of a triceps exercise to me, but if you try it and you like it then by all means keep doing it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:33 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

robertscott wrote:
Reverse grip bench press has been shown through EMG studies (not everyone agrees EMG studies really tell us anything btw) to be better than incline presses for upper chest activation but meh, I'm not convinced.

EMG Studies

EMG studies provide a good idea of where the work load is occurring in muscle activation.

Quote:
Considering every bodybuilder in the world does inclines and not reverse grip presses, I'd be inclined (see what I did there?) just to do normal inclines.

Bodybuilders

As a whole, this group has very little limited knowledge base.

The base of their knowledge come from empirical data. While empirical data is certainly a piece of the puzzle, the other part is research data.

Guillotine Bench Press

Vince Gironda for decades advocated this movement as a mean of working the upper chest.

Best Chest and Triceps Exercises
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... _exercises

Research data demonstrates that the Guillotine Bench Press activate the upper chest more so than an Incline Press.

The Neck (Guillotine) Press
http://chestsculpting.com/the-neck-press/

"The reason the neck press is so good at activating the pecs is that by flaring your elbows out and lowering the bar to your neck, you are stimulating those pectoral fibers along their line of axis, allowing them to contract optimally."

The Reverse Grip Bench Press
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-a ... -chest.htm

"The reverse grip helps keep your elbows in and your upper arms parallel to your torso. Moving your arms in this manner increases the use of upper pec muscle fibers."

Quote:
As for doing it with dumbells, that seems like it'd be much more of a triceps exercise to me, but if you try it and you like it then by all means keep doing it.

Triceps Involvement

The involvement of the triceps in a Reverse Barbell Bench Press or a Reverse Dumbbell Bench Press is dramatically decreased...providing the movement is performed correctly.

In a Reverse Grip Press, "The reverse-grip press is a movement that has tremendous power in the bottom position coming off your chest, and the most difficult part of the lift is the lockout position." http://www.readthisnow.net/the-reverse-grip-benchpres

The tremendous power off the bottom position is produce by the pectorals and shoulders, very little triceps.

The difficulty in locking out the weight in a reverse grip bench press means the reverse grip bench press decreases the triceps involvement, places the triceps in a weaker position.

Vince Gironda "EMG" Method

The simplest "EMG Method" works.

1) Take about a week off from training. Then go back.

2) Perform ONLY Reverse Grip Bench Presses during your workout.

3) Perform 10 set or more to failure. Then go home.

4) In 48-72 hours, you will KNOW exactly which muscles were worked in your chest.

Personal Perspective

I perform Reverse Grip Bench Presses in my program. I have found them to be an effective upper chest movement.

Not only that but the Reverse Grip Bench allow a little more range of motion, stretch, compared to the traditional bench press.

Upper Chest Training

Chest exercises (any body part exercise) is like ice cream.

Each exercise is a different flavor. That meaning it activate the muscles involved in different way.

So, the take home message is the Reverse Grip Bench Press, Guillotine Bench Press and Various Incline Bench Press angles will activate and develop the pectoral muscles.

Each has it place on the training table.

The Reverse Grip Bench Press should be employed by anyone interesting in developing the upper pectorals.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:48 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks Robert, I've never thought about this, but for pull ups, should the finger be wrapped around or on top of the bar?, same question for chin ups also.

Thanks Kenny, a lot of good information for me to look through, the ice cream metaphor is a good take home message!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:34 am 

if you mean should you wrap your thumb around the bar when doing pull ups/chins, well the theory is that if you use a thumbless grip you get less muscle activation in the forearm and biceps, so you are working your lats harder. I'm not too convinced it really makes all that much difference. If you do decide to go thumbless you'll probably need lifting straps.