ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what I'm doing now
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:04 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

as Dub rightly pointed out, I've not been bothering with my log of late. I'm still feeling too lazy to log the workouts but here's what I've been doing lately.

-5/6 days a week:

Legs
Upper A
Vanity
Legs
Upper B
Vanity (don't always do this workout)
Off

Upper days are:
-Landmine Press (with shrug for more serratus work) superset with pull ups
-Cable Chest fly tri-set drop-set thing superset with either lat exercise (Upper A) or row (upper B) drop set thing
-feet elevated push ups on handles superset with cable scarecrows
-2 delt exercises, either lateral or rear

you'll notice very little free weight pressing. I am trying to get my serratus up to snuff by doing pressing exercises where my scapula is free to move around. The landmine press with a shrug is totally awesome. I call it the "Bob Press". Pull ups are done overhand with a 2 second dead hang, I usually only do sets of 5 or 6. I'll probably add weight instead of reps when I'm ready.

Vanity days are:
-Triceps exercise (lateral head focus) superset with hammer curls
-Triceps exercise (long head focus) superset with cable curls (supinated grip) with 3rd set of each being a drop set
-2 delt exercises, lateral if trained rear on upper, rear if trained lateral on upper days

(I don't always do the second vanity workout in the week, but will if I feel recovered enough)

Leg Days
-Pre exhaust the $h1t out of my hamstrings with leg curls
-Pre exhaust the $h1t out of my VMO with leg extensions (turning toes out for VMO emphasis)
-front squats with brutally high reps, 3 second negative. The weight I use for these is laughable.
-Ab work, usually hanging leg raises done old school (curling the whole body right up so your knees touch your elbows)

so there we go. Just because I'm not logging, don't think I'm not training.

Post subject: Re: what I'm doing now
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:01 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

robertscott wrote:
so there we go. Just because I'm not logging, don't think I'm not training.

I didn't doubt for one second. You wouldn't let me win that easily.

Anyhow, interesting program. Still strong in the bodybuilding/hypertrophy side. It's interesting to see how this goes, our programs and methods are so different from each other. High tension work and time and slow eccentrics will certainly improve your strength. Your leg work is sort of minimalist, but it still should be quite effective, especially twice a week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:12 pm 

yeah, the strength will be a by-product really; rep ranges are fairly high for everything except pull ups. The Bob Press can be loaded up heavy so I should get some carry-over from that into other pressing movements, but I don't go below 12 reps. I have it in my mind that the serratus (which is my focus when doing the exercise) will benefit from the higher reps although I'm not too sure why.

It's a shoulder rehab routine essentially. There's absolutely nothing in there (except maybe lateral raises) that is shoulder unfriendly so I'm having pain free workouts for the first time in years. Supersetting pulls with presses always makes my shoulders feel a little better while I'm training, so that's why I've moved away from the split routine for the time being.

As for the leg days, it is minimalist yeah but absolutely brutal. After pre-exhausting, the front squats are unbelievably hard. 60k ruins me. I'm not sure if there'll be much of a strength gain but I'm really just trying to bring up my non-existent VMO. Interestingly, my knees feel absolutely amazing after doing the VMO leg extensions, which flies in the face of conventional wisdom.

I'll do the routine until the autumn, or I get bored. Whichever comes first.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:31 am 

I can no longer call The Bob Press by that name.

In Eric Cressey's newsletter today he talks about having his athletes shrug and protract the shoulder at the top of landmine presses.

Damn it! I will invent a pressing exercise one day!