ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2-day split workout
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:37 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi! After stumbling upon exrx I decided to try designing my own workout. My experience with sports up until now include athletics (allround track and field, 9 years until 15 years of age), Boxing (1 year) > about didn't do any kind of resistence training in between for about 2 years. and then ever since I was around 18: 1. half a year of 2-day split training more or less on machines 2. half a year free weights with the stress on power 4. about 5 months of home 2-day split strength training (bodyweight and a set of dumbbells) > (the programs up until now were designed by a fitness professional > nutritional side is covered as well) 3. about 2 years of trx force military program (mostly strength and endurance). Now I had about 1 month and half of 2-day split training I made with the help of exrx.

I'm 190 cm tall, 22 years old, weigh 87 kg, low percentage of body fat. My main goals are to add lean muscle and especially bulk up the chest and shoulders (to achieve a better V shape). I workout at home (law school takes quite a bit of my time and I find this option to be the most time and money-saving). Since I'm limited in space I have a set of adjustable dumbbells and a freeweight bench. So only exercises that take advantage of these and bodyweight are relevant.

The 2-day split program:

Upper body day:

DB bench press
DB incline bench press
DB bent over row > thinking of switching it for incline bench row
Pull ups
DB shoulder press
DB lateral raise
-----------------------> maybe throw in some raises or rows for rear delts?
DB lying triceps extension
DB seated bicep curl

Lower body day:

DB squats
DB lunges
DB lying leg curl > Maybe switch to hanging leg curl or self assisted hamstring raise?
DB straight leg deadlift
DB calf raises
Hanging leg-hip raise
Plank (30 sec) / side plank (20 sec each side) > 3 rotations, no pause in between > I also do this on the next day after cardio

I do all exercises on 8-12 reps, 3 sets (except for the core) and on non-workout days (3 times a week), light to moderate cardio 20-30 min.

Open for suggestions =)

Last edited by SirTeabag on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 2-day split workout
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:50 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

That's good for a home workout. Just one thing bothers me. What kind of dumbells do you have? It doesn't sound good if you can do lateral raises with the DB's you bench and squat with. Do you have several of them?

Also, you migth want to try to rotate into the workout some Bulgarian Split squats and Hip thrust (single-leg or normal) for variety at some point. And Push-up's and it's variations are never a bad idea. Do some push-ups occasionally. Self assisted hamstring raises are an awesome exercise, I'd recommend using those atleast at some point.

To achieve greater tension and intensity I would superset some of the exercises. Either pairing agonists and antagonists or working the same group. It also shortens your workout.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:06 am 
n00b
n00b

Ah of course, should've mentioned that the dumbbells I have are adjustable =) will edit the main post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:13 am 

Bulgarians should be rotated in when you are proficient first at simple split squats, then at lunges.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That looks like a pretty solid intermediate bodybuilding workout. I think that should work pretty well for you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:31 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the feedback so far. Working the rear delts after side delts is a good idea then?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:58 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

SirTeabag wrote:
Thanks for the feedback so far. Working the rear delts after side delts is a good idea then?

ya, you can do it either way. I personally prefer to do rear delts first before laterals on days when I work them together. Feels a little more comfortable on my shoulders that way, but you can do it however you like.