ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:25 am 
n00b
n00b

Hey guys i just made this program for my friend who is an athlete. He is only able to work out in a gym 3 times a week, i put this together for him, i have the rep set scheme down for the upper body day, i am a bit unsure about the order of exercises in the lower body day and athletic training day also rep set scheme...

Upper body

Bench press 5x 1-5
Barbell row 4x4-8
Incline press 4x6-10
Lat pull down 4x8-12
High pull 4x4-8
Weighted dips 4x4-8
Superset 4x10-12
lateral raised flys(optional)

Lower body

Back squat
Hip thrusters
Straight leg deadlifts
Step ups or lunges
Leg extensions
Ab work

Athletic training

Dead lift
Clean variation
Glutes ham raise
Explosive floor press
Push press
Bicep and tricep work

He has had trouble with his knees and lower back.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:57 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@richie97:

If your buddy is an athlete with health concerns, he should discuss his weight training with his coach. If his coach has no plans for him, he should find another coach.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:07 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I cannot give any advice. By telling this person is an athlete tells me nothing. What does the rest of his/her training program look like? What sport is this athlete playing? Is it in-season or offseason? What are the goals of this training? Etc. You know.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

... and why not just using a good already existing program like WS4SB (v1), instead of writing a program yourself?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:43 pm 
n00b
n00b

Crow wrote:
... and why not just using a good already existing program like WS4SB (v1), instead of writing a program yourself?

Other ones don't have the power clean integrated in.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:36 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

not too much actual athletic stuff in the athlete training bit.

Shouldn't he be running, jumping etc?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:39 am 
Novice
Novice

richie97 wrote:
Crow wrote:

Other ones don't have the power clean integrated in.

So the answer would be to use Starting Strength? Or Bill Star`s 5x5 for beginner? :wink:

Why don`t you answer the questions Dub asked? We are missing the whole picture to be able to help...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:20 pm 
n00b
n00b

Crow wrote:

I have looked at the program, it does not appeal to me with out the power cleans and such.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:23 pm 
n00b
n00b

Dub wrote:
I cannot give any advice. By telling this person is an athlete tells me nothing. What does the rest of his/her training program look like? What sport is this athlete playing? Is it in-season or offseason? What are the goals of this training? Etc. You know.

Well this would be their first actual program, and his sport is foot ball and this is off season, goals are go get bigger and stronger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:28 pm 

Any basic program can be modified to include cleans. Just omit a horizontal pull. The reason these are not included in most basic programs is that there is a learning curve which is usually not warranted in a beginner program. In fact, if you look into them closer, the authors always use power cleans in their more advanced programs.

You are still not giving us the information we need to evaluate the needs of your client.

edit: A first program for football, go with a Bill Starr influenced program, like Starting Strength or Madcow. You can use power cleans with either.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:38 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

So he has knee issues but can still do squats, lunges and step-ups? In that case, I would also include some jumping and sprinting into the program. The exercise selection seems alright, I prefer the following ordeal with simple athlete programming:

Dynamic Effort work (explosive exercise) - This would be the clean, jump, snatch or it's variations
Max Effort work (Strength) - This would be a big compound exercise like a squat or a deadlift
Repetititon Effort exercise - This would be a unilateral exercise for reps and hypertrophy, like lunges and step-ups and so forth.

Or then one split I've used successfully has one Dynamic (explosive) full body workout, One full body push (squats and presses) workout, one full body pull (Hip hinge, back work) workout.

There are lots of options, just keep it simple. Don't clutter the program with too many methods and exercises. Simply pick a couple and stick by them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:37 am 
Novice
Novice

richie97 wrote:
...I have looked at the program, it does not appeal to me with out the power cleans and such.

It could be a classic coaching mistake to chose a program that appeals to the trainer instead of a program that is better for the trainee at a given moment in their career ;)

When they are beginners, it is off-season (and provided there are no health issues -> knees and lower back), I would just recommend to start with Starting Strength or a variant of Bill Starr`s 5x5. (http://oldschooltrainer.com/bill-starrs-5-x-5-training/) A good point to start for a beginner, simple, effective and they include Power Cleans. ;)

The other thing I would recommend is to look again at WS4SB (all three articles about it) and keep it in mind for the time when the season starts...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:51 am 

By football, I am assuming you mean real football and not soccer...

How old is the kid and what is his training age?

What position does he play?

The second question is really important as I'd design a program different for the big uglies than I would for the speed guys. This is especially true for atheltic portion of the training.

The only advice I'd give, for now, is swap out bench and incline bench. You are very rarely pushing from a flat position (if you are you've probably been pancaked). Consequently the bench is a poor choice to concentrate on and you are much better off making the incline your go to upper body exercise (yes throw in the bench for aux work).

Check out 531 for football.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:47 am 
former lurker

Speaking about the devil, recently my lower back started to hurt. I’m not an athlete but I exercise recreationally 3 times a week for 5yrs. Do you guys know some good stretching exercises I can do at home? Tnx!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:42 pm 

Back stretches might not be the best approach for back pain. You may be better focusing on improving back strength and hip mobility. It's really hard to say without knowing more about your exercise program.