ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:36 pm 
former lurker

I am hoping someone with a somewhat strong background in exercise physiology can help me. Short background: I had a significant weight problem as a child and young adult. I was able to lose about 200 pounds through diet/exercise 4 times, each not lasting as I got to the point where I had to work out for at least 2 hours per day and eat relatively smaller amounts of food ie 2000 Calories or less to maintain it. I finally gave up and went for surgery to give me a better tool to use to maintain and it has been working fairly well. Due to being so large in the past, I have very muscular quads/hamstrings/calves which I have maintained through these weight losses with lifting. I have made good gains in upper body strength through lifting as well but obviously not to the point my legs are at. My question is really regarding cardio options for burning Calories. Running and power walking started to give me hematuria for some odd reason, so I switched to the Precor and other Elliptical trainers and those lower impact options seemed to not cause the hematuria. A while back I switched it up and started using the rowing machine, hoping that it would improve my upper body strength. I am not sure it really has done much for that but I seem to get a good workout with it. So, regarding Calorie burning, it seems logical that the Elliptical should burn more due to my larger muscles in my lower extremities, but then again I have to wonder if my increased strength and such would reduce that expenditure and makes me wonder if I would get a 'bigger bang for my buck' with the Rower? I eat relatively the same number of Calories per day and can really tell much difference between the two although it seems like my mid-section is getting larger using the rowing machine? Any theories or guidance on which might be better would be appreciated. Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:30 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

mwhitford wrote:
My question is really regarding cardio options for burning Calories. Running and power walking started to give me hematuria for some odd reason, so I switched to the Precor and other Elliptical trainers and those lower impact options seemed to not cause the hematuria. A while back I switched it up and started using the rowing machine, hoping that it would improve my upper body strength. I am not sure it really has done much for that but I seem to get a good workout with it. So, regarding Calorie burning, it seems logical that the Elliptical should burn more due to my larger muscles in my lower extremities, but then again I have to wonder if my increased strength and such would reduce that expenditure and makes me wonder if I would get a 'bigger bang for my buck' with the Rower? I eat relatively the same number of Calories per day and can really tell much difference between the two although it seems like my mid-section is getting larger using the rowing machine? Any theories or guidance on which might be better would be appreciated. Thank you!

Excess Post Oxygen Consumption, EPOC

One of the primary keys to increasing you metabolism is Excess Post Oxygen Consumption.

It amounts to overcharging your Credit Card and not being able to pay it off on time.

The Credit Card company allows you to make time payments. However, they charge you interest. So, you end up paying more back than you borrowed.

Overcharging Your "Metabolic Credit Card"

High Intensity Interval Training overcharges your credit card.

Research shows that "9 times more fat-loss benefit for every calorie burned exercising" compared to Steady State cardio. http://www.cbass.com/FATBURN.HTM

Elliptical Vs Rower

Elliptical do NOT burn any more calories than Rowers. Any type of High Intensity Training will dramatically increase you metabolism.

It is how you use the Elliptical, Rower, Bike, or how you write the a High Intensity Interval Resistance Training Program that increases you metabolic rate.

There are plenty of good articles online that go into High Intensity Interval Training Method.

"Muscle Confusion"

The foundation of this is based on Han Selye's General Adaptation Syndrome, GAS.

Simply put, the body learn to adapt to a new environment. It becomes very efficient.

Income Example

Let's say you are making $3,000 a month. You get a pay cut. You are now making $2,500 a month.

Initially, you struggle to make end meet. However, you make some cut back and learn to live on $2,500 a month.

The body automatically does that, as well.

Now, let apply that thought to an exercise.

Elliptical Training

Initially, using an Elliptical is a new movement to you. However, the more you perform exercise on the Elliptical the more efficient you body becomes with the movement.

That efficiency means you body uses less energy (fewer calories) to get the job done. It similar to leaning to becoming efficient with the money you make.

Rower Training

When you switch from an Elliptical to a Rower (any change in exercises), you body encounters a new movement and initially works harder (burns more calories) to perform the new task.

Change Exercises

By changing your program up every 3 - 6, you keep you body off metabolically off balance...meaning you metabolism remains elevated.

Steady State Cardio

Research indicates that you body metabolism adapts to Steady State Cardio. Thus, low to moderate cardio eventually stop working. You body becomes efficient...burn less calories.

High Intensity Interval Training

You metabolism does not adapt to this method.

It overcharges you "Metabolic Credit Card".

You end up burning more calories long after the workout is over...paying back what you metabolically spent with interest.

The After Effect

What is most important when it comes to burning calories is the metabolic after effect.

A High Intensity Interval Training Progdram that jacks up your metabolism for hours after your workout burn more effective that a Low/Moderate Steady State program that ONLY burn calories during your workout.

Cardio Machines OVERESTIMATION

Another factor is the inaccuracy of cardio machine at measuring caloric expenditure.

Research has demonstrated that cardio machines, especially Ellipticals, OVERESTIMATE the number of calories burned in a workout.

"...the Human Performance Center at the University of California at San Francisco, cardio machines overestimate calories by 19%. The worst estimates come from elliptical trainers that overestimate calories by a staggering 42%."
http://www.everyfit.com/2011/03/08/true ... lorie-burn

Heart Rate Counts

THE most effective method of determine and insuring that you create an Excess Post Oxygen Consumption state is your heart rate.

During intervals, you need to drive it to at least 75% of your Heart Rate Max. A greater effect occurs when you push into a higher zone.

Speedometer

Think of a Heart Rate Monitor like a speedometer. They allow you to drive the posted speed limits.

Without a speedometer, you really don't know how fast you're going.

A Heart Rate Monitor is about $60 and worth the investment.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:31 am 

I would point out that there is a difference of opinion in how big an effect EPOC plays in the effectiveness of HIIT in fat loss. What is not disputed is that HIIT is very effective. It appears that compensatory appetite increases plays a big role. With traditional moderate intensity cardio, the appetite effect almost offsets the effect of the exercise, making the exercise almost worthless as a weight loss tool. It takes something like 77 hours of exercise to lose a pound of body fat, far in excess of what would be predicted from the calorie burn. On the other hand, both HIIT and very low intensity exercise, like walking, don't increase apeptite to the same extent, and therefore are more effective as fat loss techniques.

HIIT also is very effective at improving heart and lung capacity.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:34 am 
former lurker

Thank you Tim! I do kind of naturally do some variation in the intensity of my cardio on the rower. My music choice usually drives my speed and I intentionally mix music that is at 140-150 bpm with slower music for my rowing routine. I usually set the elliptical so that it is on the setting where it changes between a high and low setting varying between 12 and 16, but I will work at incorporating more systematic changes on the rower and see what happens. I do know that one can not believe the calorie burned report on the machines. I usually put in my weight at about 45 pounds less than what I really weigh when it prompts me for weight. I seem to have pretty good genetics and have lucked out with the abuse I had put my body through with the extra weight. It probably helped that I did get quite a bit of exercise even when heavy for the most part. My resting heart rate ranges between 40-50 bpm and generally is at 132 on the lower intensity portion of my cardio and 145-149 at the higher portions. My mother had COPD and I had purchased her a medical grade pulse oximeter which I took when she passed so that is what I use to monitor my pulse. I generally do my cardio for a 60 minute session. I lift 3 days a week and do not do cardio on those days.

Thank you so much for replying and sharing your great tips!

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:41 am 

My name's not Tim, it's Stu. I have "Thanks TimD" in my signature to pay respects to a past moderator here that died last year. Kenny and several others do the same.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley