ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Strength vs size.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

i dont think slow twitch muscle fibres can be hypertrophied. endurance atheltes are not huge. and even if , i think the normal rep range would target them well. i also have never seen a single study which proves it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:13 pm 

Jeannay wrote:
i dont think slow twitch muscle fibres can be hypertrophied. endurance atheltes are not huge. and even if , i think the normal rep range would target them well. i also have never seen a single study which proves it.

Yes slow twitch doesn't get very big but every little bit helps. If size is wat you're after, you need to go after everything you can get. My point is that the extra size isn't required for strength.

There's a lot of debate on the different theories that I don't profess to be an expert on. Here's one of the latest articles that goes into it. http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/non ... lmyth.html

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:48 pm 
n00b
n00b

Outstanding article. Thank you for posting. That cleared alot of things up for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:27 am 

If you liked Starting Strength, who not move on to Rippetoe's intermediate program? I think it's spelled out in Practical Programming.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:25 am 
n00b
n00b

To improve your strengths you should try muscle building tips and one of the effective ways is to do bench-press exercise. You need to power your triceps if you want to increase your number of bench press. Apart from this you should also take rest in a proper manner and a sound sleep if you want to see positive results for improve muscles strengths.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:00 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

newbienewb wrote:
However one thing that has me confused here is after reading the low volume training article I am understanding that it does not really matter how many reps or sets you do just as long as you are increasing in weight continuously.

What "low volume training artice" did you read?

Quote:
I believe it is stated that strength is highly correlated to muscular size.

Strength Correlated to Muscular Size

That like stating that wealth is correlate to how much money you have.

If you have a bank vault full of pennies, you not really wealthy.

If you have a bank vault full of $1,000 bills, that's wealthy.

Thus, while the size of the amount of money you have is important, even more important is the kind of money you have.

Muscular Size

The same applies to the composition of muscle size. It not only the size but the kind of muscle fiber you have developed.

Why Bodybuilders are More Jacked Than Powerlifters
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... werlifters

This is a good article that examines the difference in training for size vs strength.

2 Mechanisms for Rapid Muscle Growth
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=5755988

This article does a nice job of explaining hypertrophy training.

Quote:
However the question is asked how about gaining mass. Then the author goes into adding more reps and sets. in order to gain "hypertrophy", which still confuses the hell out of me. So which is it?

Size is developed with high volume, moderate reps, short rest periods, etc., as Stu stated.

Strength is developed with lower volume, low reps, long rest periods, etc.

Quote:
I would like to gain mass as I am pretty small. So I want to gain strength of course, but at this point mass is what I want most.

There are a variety ways.

I like Contreras idea (2 Mechanisms article above): "...bust out your heavy work first during your workouts then switch to lighter movements and focus on inducing metabolic stress.

Quote:
By the way I have frequented bodybuilding . com website and have been very reluctant to post any questions because of how rude the participants are there.

The bodybuilding.com and wannabebig.com group has a hard time stringing enough word together to make a coherent sentence.

Quote:
They seem to be more interested in flexing their "broscience" brains than actually helping people out.

There is something to be said for learning by doing. However...

That group needs to read magazines that have more words than pictures.

Most have read a book in years.

Kenny Croxdale