ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:28 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

If someone asked how long I would be at the rack and I replied "1 hour" because I have three exercises - squat, deadlift and bench press - would I be considered to be a hog?

I timed myself at it really is an hour - including warmup with empty bars and rest periods.

I don't mind sharing but my experience with my buddy when he's around, the rest period is too short and I wouldn't be able to perform the complete reps I want. Yes that tells me something too.

And also, I don't really want to keep changing weights between the two of us especially if we are going to perform different exercises.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:39 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

1 hour is a long time to tie up the rack if someone else if waiting. You can do the deadlifts outside the rack. You could also let them work in if they only have a couple sets. Usually people want the squat rack to do chin ups in anyway.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:35 am 

Yep. Too long. Why do you need a squat rack for bench press? Don't they have a bench with a rack for the bar? If you are really going to be there that long, it's only considerate to let other people trade off, and cheerfully help them load their weights. If you're lifting heavy enough to need the rack you need to rest longer anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:50 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for your input. It's been a long time since I had to roll the bar off my chest. I'll go back to the bench presses where there are no safety bars, only lower hooks.

The next time someone asks, I'll simply finish the exercise and move on.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:36 pm 

Is there only one squat rack? ... For bench presses you could just ask someone to spot you on your working sets. Just make it clear that they should only step in if you say to grab it, and avoid overzealous spotters who can't follow directions. You may even find you can lift more with a clean liftoff.