It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Workout Log Apps
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:32 am 
former lurker

Hello, guys.
I have few thoughts about workout logs.
First one.
If you decided to keep workout logs, you're serious about reaching your fitness goals.
Second one.
What are best ways to keep it.
Groups of possible tools:
- online journals
- mobile apps
- paper notes
- desktop apps

I would prefer mobile apps our days.
Exits hundrets apps both on App Store and Android Market. Worth something although only 3-5 apps.
In my opinion that would be Pumping Weight, Gym Hero, Jefit maybe.

So, what is your opinion?
Do you track your workouts?
Why?
What tools do you use for it?

P.s.:
I'm founder of PumpNlog app - smart workout log for Iphone.

Post subject: Re: Workout Log Apps
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:15 pm 

Thanks for posting. You'll note that I moved your post. It is ABOUT exercise journals, but it is not a journal, so I took it out of the journal forum.

A word of caution. If you are here to sell your app, you will disappear faster than a candy bar at a WWA meeting--we don't allow the promotion of commercial products. But if you're here to discuss the topic and methods of journalling, and maybe even participate in other discussions as well, welcome! And thanks for being up-front about your app.

I journal on paper most of the time, but transfer it to an on-line journal (not surprisingly, I use this forum to journal). I track the workouts in order to document my progress or lack thereof, to try to sort out what exercises and what routines are more effective for me, and as a reference workout-to-workout for the loading and rep scheme for each day. Doing it on the forum allows my cyber friends to comment, make suggestions, give me praise for my amazing progress, etc. My present phone is not smart (though this may change soon), so that option is out for me for the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:16 pm 

i write down the weight and reps i want to achieve on a paper, which i take with me to the gym. after the workout i remember my numbers and type them in an excel-sheet.

i don't like the idea of a journal mobile app, cause then you end up using your smartphone all the time while working out, cause then you don't just type in the numbers in your journal, but you will react to whatsapp messages, mails, sms, phone calls and other stuff. this is really taking away the focus from your training.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I used paper for for years and then got out of the habit. I can usually remember what I did on anything that matters. James has some apps on the main site. There is a mobile app coming, which will have something to do with a new website he is making. It's going to be pretty cool from what I understand. There will be a lot more too it though, various calculators and other things.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:59 am 
n00b
n00b

Great question. here are my thoughts.
1. Online journals are a good option especially as you can get support from others. Also some sites have some interesting tools which allows usesrs to chart their progresss. However the drawback to it is you dont have an offline /back up.
2. MObile apps. :My locker has been broken into twice in the gym, so mobile phone apps are not a great option in my opinion. also i find it hard to type things in a regular gym as most people seem to want to use the same equipment/machine one is using.
3. Paper notes: lack the analytical tools that the computer options have: online as well as desktop. U cant make charts etc
4. Desktop apps are a great option.

I am trying to decide which one should i go for: desktop or online

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:26 am 
former lurker

I agree they favorably works for us...I thought MObile apps are rather good options to explore it more...Find

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:22 am 
Novice
Novice

I have always used gymrat to log workouts, I like how you can set it to automatically time rest periods and things like that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:37 am 
former lurker

It is a good idea f to maintain the journals. It can help to realize how much you have achieved and how much is left. But I do not use any online apps I still prefer a pen and paper. It gives more motivation that I can do much better. It s good to see that I am not the only one who does that. As professionals I am in human resource so I understand the importance of noting down everything.