ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:18 am 
n00b
n00b

I am training in Parkour and my pulling (pull ups) strength is pathetic. Apart from simply doing more pull-ups, is there any way I can speed up my progress? I guess I need to train my shoulders and upper back.

In addition, what would be an efficient way to train pull-ups or associated strength?

Last edited by superman on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:49 am 

The best way to train pullups is to do pullups. If you can't do them, or do enough, you can do jumping pull ups (jump to the up position on the bar and then resist lowering) or these:
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Latissi ... eling.html
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Latissi ... ldown.html

You should mix up the grip.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:55 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks! I actually noticed the thread on Pull Ups after I posted my question. I placed an online order for a resistance band to help me in the initial stages.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:30 pm 

Resistance bands aren't as good as once thought. The assistance is at the bottom where you don't need it and not at the top where its harder. That's why I didn't mention them.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:02 pm 
n00b
n00b

What if I am able to wrap it around my waist or Knees in such a way that it does help me vertically... at least by a small factor? I also bought an adjustable Hand gripper that will let me set 10-40 kg of force. Will practice endurance and strength alternatively on it.

My wrists are very weak too, not sure what I can do, other than curls and secondary exercise through pull ups and the like. :-(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:01 am 

The bands are not useless, it's just that they're not optimal. Do some jumping pull ups as well so you build strength throughout the ROM.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:53 pm 

Jason Nunn just posted a tutorial on improving pullups. He does use bands along with some other exercises.

http://www.nunnsperformancetraining.com ... lup-heres/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:48 am 
n00b
n00b

I am planning to try the volume work out - do a couple of pull ups every hour, for 7-8 hours, five days a week. Right now, I can only do three pull ups at a time. Since I won't be pulling till failure, mostly even technical failure, do I still need to warm up? I normally do for my other workouts, but since this stretches over 7-8 hours, I don't want to get all sweaty and have to shower every hour.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:26 am 
n00b
n00b

superman wrote:
I am planning to try the volume work out - do a couple of pull ups every hour, for 7-8 hours, five days a week. Right now, I can only do three pull ups at a time. Since I won't be pulling till failure, mostly even technical failure, do I still need to warm up? I normally do for my other workouts, but since this stretches over 7-8 hours, I don't want to get all sweaty and have to shower every hour.

I did a similar workout, but more frequently, and did nothing more than a few shoulder rolls and twists for a warm up. Never got sweaty enough to warrant a shower. I wrote up my experience in the Pull Up Training sticky (last post).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:49 am 
n00b
n00b

My question was more toward whether it is OK or would I injure myself, as opposed to whether I'd sweat, but thanks for sharing your input. It's some info.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:11 pm 
n00b
n00b

superman wrote:
I don't want to get all sweaty and have to shower every hour.

superman wrote:
My question was more toward whether it is OK or would I injure myself, as opposed to whether I'd sweat, but thanks for sharing your input. It's some info.

The point of my post was that I did a very light warmup. The only injury I developed was a touch of tendonitis, but that was when I was doing over 80 pull ups every day. It had nothing to do with a lack of a serious warm up. In other words, go for it, but stop if your elbows get tender.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:13 am 
n00b
n00b

I started by trying to pull as much as possible for how many hours in the day I could get a pull up in - sometimes six, some times eight. I soon strained my biceps and didn't do pull ups for a while. Now I am trying a different approach...

Six sets of 50% Rep Max, one set every hour, and 75%+ Rep Max on the last of the day.

Up to four now, but I also work out my other parts of the body instead of just pull ups. Apparently Body rows are also important to strengthening the back for pull ups.