ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:44 am 
n00b
n00b

I have a question about stretching. I only do a warm-up before starting the workout, but don't usually do any kind of stretching after the workout. As far as i've read, doing it before the workout can impair the strength and increases the risk of injury. After the workout it's suppose to depend on your goals, how flexible do you want the muscles to be. Also the flexibility of some muscles (like chest, hip flexors, groin/inner thigh muscles) may be more desirable than others (hamstrings, upper back, lower back).

My goal is primarily strength and mass (and a balanced posture > as it is I don't have any problems with that). Also I don't do any other sports or activities that would require any extra flexibility.

So would a static stretching be a good idea, and if so, how often and when, should some muscles (mentioned) be stretched more and some less (or not at all)?

Thanks for suggestions =)

Post subject: Re: Stretching?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:48 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

SirTeabag wrote:
I have a question about stretching. I only do a warm-up before starting the workout, but don't usually do any kind of stretching after the workout. As far as i've read, doing it before the workout can impair the strength and increases the risk of injury. After the workout it's suppose to depend on your goals, how flexible do you want the muscles to be. Also the flexibility of some muscles (like chest, hip flexors, groin/inner thigh muscles) may be more desirable than others (hamstrings, upper back, lower back).

My goal is primarily strength and mass (and a balanced posture > as it is I don't have any problems with that). Also I don't do any other sports or activities that would require any extra flexibility.

So would a static stretching be a good idea, and if so, how often and when, should some muscles (mentioned) be stretched more and some less (or not at all)?

Thanks for suggestions =)

Do you need more mobility? If not, you don't have to stretch. It's that simple. I do dynamic stretching before every workout to get my muscles going, but that also maintains my mobility. Plus the occasional soft-tissue work.

But If you can go full ROM without a problem, then don't stress. Stretching after workouts is not that effective to anything but relaxing really.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:58 pm 

there are a lot of different opinions around on stretching before and after sports. for myself, i just stretch my lower back before deadlifting. and i do multiple sets static stretching every evening, this worked to increase my hamstring flexibility.

dub answered your question well. if you think you are flexible enough, just do one set static stretching for every muscle for 30 sec. or so every day. that should make sure that you don't lose flexibility. if you want to increase your flexibility, then go for more sets.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:37 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I usually do static stretches at the end of my workouts. It seems to help maintain flexibility and reduce muscle soreness. ... Honestly, I don't see why so many people skip stretching. It feels good and requires little effort.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:46 am 
former lurker

Flexibility can help you to improve range of motion, but trainers say many people conflated stretching with warming up muscles. Most people stretch to prime muscles for the workout to come, but there is little evidence that it prevents injuries. “I think stretching is an important part of the physical-fitness regime, but there have been some misconceptions about it. But if you overstretch your muscle and then demand a power activity.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:02 pm 

Some things need to be stretched some times. Not everything needs to be stretched all the time.

That's my wise saying for the day. You may quote me with proper attribution and no cost. Thank you.