ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:46 pm 
n00b
n00b

So I'd like to sign up for a powerlifting meet to keep myself focused. I'm weak as a kitten, really, but it would give me something to shoot for. The trouble is that I don't know where to start. I'm really looking for the equivalent of the local 5K race--just something where I could go and not compete against major beasts. Any suggestions from the heavy lifters here as to what type of meet I should look for and where I could find them? I'm lifting raw, of course. So far my interweb searches have been less than productive. I'm in California, BTW.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:10 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

You can probably find something online by looking for the federations: usapowerlifting.com will have a schedule of meets.

The question I would ask is if you are lifting in a powerlifter-friendly gym with other powerlifters, especially those that compete. There are plenty of reasons why you want to be in a powerlifting environment, not the least of which is that the other guys will know about the comps. Not only that, but if you go to the same comps you can be part of a team and cheer each other on, shout in each other's ears and all of that great stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:27 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks Ken. I have looked locally for a powerlifting friendly gym, but to no avail. There are tons of X-Fits boxes and more than a few "fitness" centers, but nothing close by for just lifting. I'll keep looking, though.