ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Asking for help again
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:13 pm 
Novice
Novice

Life goes by so fast, go to work come home, do what you can, do it again. It gets tiresome don't it? But I can'y give up my physical aspirations. Slowly my walking has improved, from just a few feet several months ago to 210 feet this week. After work my wife helps me get in the walker and I walk. My endurance has greatly improved. I know I need to keep at it and I am. But waking is not most difficult part. When I'm done walking I sit back in my wheelchair, I know I need to exercise and I do but it's hard to keep at "exercise." What I want is something like: Do this exercise and it will benefit you in this way. This exercise and area needs to be a priority if you want to make any real progress.

Here is the latest video of me walking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JANpvZQFMN0

Looking for anyone to push me in the right direction, not just direction but hopefully instruction and patience. Thank you and God bless.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:24 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

It's hard to say what exercise will benefit you or not. It's certainly outside of my experience. That said, gradually pushing the envelope of your comfort zone is the only way to make progress.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thank you Stuard.

My thought is regular strength training will help me and might very well be the simple mystery to my success. I'm injured but my body is still made to work so if I figure out what exercises /routines / muscles to diligently push then the result will be improvement. Of course there might be some things I can't exercise like everyone else right now, like standing exercises, but there must be ways to work the muscles sitting in a chair.

But my obstacle is not knowing the key things to work. For example, strong arms would be a big help to me, but which exercises do I focus on out of the 50+ I find on-line? Shoulders first or biceps. My time is limited so I hope to find the key foundations and best exercises of all areas that I need to push. Arms, Legs, and core. Legs for example, there are numerous exercises but if my time is limited what muscle group should I build to make everything else easier? And then it will be easier for me to work on other things.

I know people here can help me. I'm not on an easy road where one week or even one month of dedication will bring me to my potential, but I've seen progress slowly and I know there's no substitute for hard work. Thanks for listening and for being here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:48 pm 

For upper body, the key movements are pulling and pushing. The 2 main directions of movement are horizontal and vertical. Just about everything else is extra.

What kind of equipment do you have access to?

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

Attachment:
111913162336.jpg
111913162336.jpg [ 67.36 KiB | Viewed 1108 times ]
Attachment:
111913162336.jpg
111913162336.jpg [ 67.36 KiB | Viewed 1108 times ]
Attachment:
111913162046.jpg
111913162046.jpg [ 50.43 KiB | Viewed 1108 times ]
Stuard I have weights that I can use with my right arm, a 1,3 and 5 lb. My left am needs strap on weights that I have, 4 2 1/2 weights that I can use on my legs as well. My right side is strongest, my left is weak but I know can be better if I work on it. My right arm can pull and push strongly. It can reach up vertical but not easily. Would it be best just to practice reaching up, or extending my arm completley and going through the full motion? I can manage to reach up, but if I hold my arm up at shoulder length and reach it out to the side that's even more difficult. Are shoulder shrugs very important? So, please give me what you'd consider are the best arm exercises that will make a difference.

Here are two photos of what else I have, a grid that I can attach exercise bands to at many angles, there's also another one on the opposite wall. A friend plans to install a pulley system in the corner that I can attach weights to. The other photo is a pullup bar that I can roll my wheelchair between and hold onto with my hands.

Right now apart from my daily walk the exercise band workout is my main exercise, if I'm doing the best exercises I don't know yet. This week I set my goal to 3 days just to get going.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:38 pm 

Here's a few exercises that may help.

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGen ... rmRow.html
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGen ... ghRow.html
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Latissi ... ldown.html
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Pectora ... Press.html
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Deltoid ... Press.html

I picked mainly one armed versions. You can do them whatever way works for you. These are nor strictly arm exercises, they're compound movements that work the torso and the arms.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:01 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thank you Stuard, I will get to work on these. I think my torso needs to be worked as well so this is great! Any advice on sets / reps / how many days a week for these muscles?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:51 pm 
former lurker

I like that. Looks clean.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:47 pm 
Novice
Novice

Just did most of these:) The two arm row exercises, should I do both, it works different muscles? I did 3 sets of 15, which ones should I do every other day and which one are ok to do everyday if I feel like it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:44 pm 

It depends on how hard you go. If you feel up to doing it everyday, go ahead. I know rehab work is OK to do frequently. If you're really grinding the reps, you'll likely need more time to recover.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:07 pm 
Novice
Novice

The arm rows, how much do they work the back? If they do is it a key part of the back and are there any other back exercises that would be important to seeing noticeable progress? What simple back exercise or exercises would you say are a must?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:58 pm 

Arm rows are a key back exercise. Pulling down mainly works the lats and pulling back mainly works the upper back. Between the two, the back is well taken care of.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:43 pm 
Novice
Novice

Struggling with motivation but walking distance has been solid and consistant. This week I'm aiming for 5 days: exercise band workout 15x3 sets legs with 5lb weights 15 x 3 Situps 15 x 3 and continued walking. I feel so far yet so close. I know accomplishing my goals one day att a time this week will be a small yet great victory.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your progress sounds amazing to me. It's quite inspiring the way you don't let anything hold you back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:28 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks Ironman I appreciate the support. This week I worked out 5 consecutive days. The exercises Stuard listed I've been doing except for the lat pulldown, I have to wait until I get a weight pulley system.

I am thankful for my progress and just the fact that I can exercise. I walk everyday after work and have seen great improvement, but I know I need basic yet effective non walking exercises to get to where I know I can get.

Anyway, I will stick to it and post back with more question. Thank you again. Ian