ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:50 am 
Rookie
Rookie

So everyone since Sandow has been chasing the grecian ideal. Aren't there any other sets of body proportions considered 'ideal' by some other culture? Do the best athletes even match the grecian ideal? The ideal proportions for a decathalete can't be the same as for a sumo wrestler, right? And what about the ideal proportions for women? I'm only recently interested in body building, but I don't like the grecian ideal. I have relatively tiny biceps, a relatively toned torso(not mr. universe, but a distinct man-shape and not 'skinny' either) and pretty awesome lats. I'd like to develop my back and my lower body more, but for the most part, I'm not fond of the super-developed bicep/pectoral look. Basically, it will take some time to see what different proportions actually look like on my body, but I plan to create my own model for body aesthetics, according to my tastes. Almost like a heavier, shorter Bruce Lee shape. I'm just wondering how many other people have engaged in bodybuilding with a model of perfection that differs from the grecian ideal, and more importantly, which other shapes have been considered ideal by such people.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:55 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Athletes don't train for form, they train for function, and the form that evolves from the training is often attractive regardless if it meets some ideal. Only bodybuilders care about ideal proportions. Given the variety of shapes on stage these days, Grecian ideals seem to have gone out the window anyway.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley