ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:26 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hi all, so I'm starting to lift heavier weights to help with injury prevention and athletic performance and i have seen most of the 5x5 routines. I have noticed a big improvement in my SI joint problem but i am wary of overdoing it.

My question is, will this routine below give me balanced strength in all the core lifts? i have seen a lot of posts about over training your lower back.

This is an routine from 5x5 starting strength.

beginner workout
Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
DIPS - 2 x 8-12

Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Standing Press - 3x5
Pull from floor (rows 3x5 or cleans 5x3)

Intermediate stage
Week 1
Monday: Squat/Bench Press/Chinup
Wednseday: Front squat/Press/Deadlift
Friday: Squat/Bench press/Pullup

Week 2
Monday: Squat/Press/Chinup
Wednseday: Front squat/Bench Press/Row or clean
Friday: Squat/Press/Pullup

I do feel as thought lunges are missing, but i come from a background of bodyweight routines/HIT/HIIT. Any advice on how to create a well rounded strength program would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:51 am 

Starting Strength is a well rounded strength program. Just do the program as written until you can lo longer make progress, then move to an intermediate program.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:59 pm 
n00b
n00b

sav wrote:
I do feel as thought lunges are missing,

If you look up lunges on exrx, you'll see that they have a ton of overlap with squats, which you're doing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:56 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Okay thanks for the replys. I will go ahead with it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:36 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

If you are just beginning and still working with low weights, SS or other programs like it are good. Once you get into the heavier weights though you'll want to move on to a more intermediate program.

For me, the heavier weights occurred when I was getting around 240 lb squat. Squatting that weight three times per week plus heavier deads two times every other week gave way to too many injuries for me. The trainer at my gym says I should have switched earlier than when I did and I remember him trying to get me to move into a different program every once in a while. It wasn't until I had low back pain with a good bit of left shoulder pain, nearly unbearable tendonitis in both of my elbow joints, and both knees crying somewhat for me to realize that I did indeed need to move on.

Where is your current progress in strength training? You lifting heavy already?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:57 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

training squats every second day does seem like a lot, I'm only familiar to the recovery times of endurance/hypertrophy training.

I have currently only been doing upper body/lower body split for 4 days a week at 3x15-20 rep range, and running also.I am looking at starting a strength routine, maybe dropping reps to 8-10 for a while. I'm not too sure about going straight into a 5x5 routine.

My main interest is to get stronger and prevent injuries, although by gaining weight through strength training i feel as if it would impact my running and cause injuries (I'm not talking long distance, just 2-5km runs)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:54 am 
n00b
n00b

Unless you're concerned with competitive times, weight put on from weight training won't hurt, and may even help. A lot of fast 5k runners are quite strong looking. Short runs are probably negligible but distance running will hinder strength gains.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:47 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Yeah, more muscle mass from strength training shouldn't impact your running.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:41 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Not competitive. The feedback is helpful, i will go ahead with the SL 5x5 or at least working towards 5x5. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

Have you tried doing lower weights with a bit more reps for a week with the same exercises? When I start burning out I actually do 4X8 instead of 5X5. Thats all I change. Works wonders.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:13 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Immortal2 wrote:
Have you tried doing lower weights with a bit more reps for a week with the same exercises? When I start burning out I actually do 4X8 instead of 5X5. Thats all I change. Works wonders.

I ended up changing the workout a lot. I really just do about 40-50 reps, then 20 reps, then 10, etc. I feel this is good enough for general health. I do tend to over train just from doing squats/press/row in the same day, not sure why.

I'm not sure if its related, but when i feel i have over trained, my body only wants 6 hours or so sleep, compared to the normal 8 hours. I tends to just be my nervous system that is drained.