It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need big arm
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:28 am 
n00b
n00b

ello im new on this site and i need your advises
first of all,im not native speaker so i cant write english very well!lol

I have been training for 6 months in the Gym for Gaining my muscle and volume.And im doing 5 days splits training.The first 4months i felt a growth of all my muscle parts but after that only my Arm have stopped gaining! You are not going to believe me but this is true :cry:

And my friend persistently saying Your body style is so strange.you have good chest back and shoulder but only Arm(especially Triceps biceps and foreams) are Skinny.

Here is my routine of arms: EZ barbell curl:5sets x 15reps
Incline dumbbell curl:4sets x 5reps-7reps
Lying triceps extention with Barbell:5setsx8reps
close grip bench press:3setsx12reps(sometimes i do shoulder width and s
ometimes very narrow grip)
at last i do reverse barbell curl:3setsx12reps

I need your advise for my arm routine,please :roll: sorry for my all strange english

Post subject: Re: I need big arm
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:19 pm 

Let me see if I can help you out. Your arms are secondary muscles - supportive if you will. If you want your arms to grow, you need over all growth. Squatting, deadlifting, benching, rowing - compound movements will help your overall growth. Consequently your arms will grow. Your direct arm work that you are doing will mostly help your definition. You will get some growth, but not near as much as if you did heavy compound lifts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:24 am 
n00b
n00b

So you recommend me to do 8-12reps and a lots of sets for all compound movements?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:38 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Compound movements for beginners is definately the thing to do. I wouldn't do high reps but maybe a 3X5 or 5X5 setXrep scheme myself. If you are just starting out, you will continue to gain mass but you will also build a nice strength foundation too.

If you wanted to add size to any specific body part, you could add them to your basic workout rotation. Either superset the assistance/ancillary exercises in with your main lifts or add them to the end in a circuit type scheme.

I like to superset simply because when I am finished with my main lift, I'm ready to go home.

If I wanted to increase arm size, I'd superset the following exercises into my main lifts...

Dips: BWx5x10 (Once you can get 5x10, start adding weight)
Hammer Curls: 5x10 (Once you get the full 5x10, increase weight)
Skull Crusher: 5x10 (Same as above)
Curls: 5x10 (Same as above)

I don't match the assistance exercises up with with the main lifts progression. For instance, my warm up sets are usually 6-7 sets, 3 work sets, 1-4 joker sets, and 3-5 '1st set last' sets. So, the Dips would go with warm up sets 1-5, hammer curls would go with warm up sets 6-7 & work sets 1-3, skull crushers would go with joker sets 1-4 and 1st set of '1st last', and finish it off with curls for the remaining '1st last' sets with a few curl sets left over.

If you wanted to add all of the assistance exercises to the end, you could superset two of the exercises at a time or all four. For instance...

Dips
Chin Ups (Palms facing you)
Skull Crusher
Curls

Do as many of each exercise as you can in order. Once you finish the last exercise (curls) take a quick 30 second break then do them all in order again. Continue doing this until you reach a total rep count of 200.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:47 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks buddy! I have just done your Arm routine and i feel so guud.
My triceps and Biceps are pumping so hard :cheers:

Can i put an extra triceps exercise like One arm Triceps extention? for more mass and volume to the one?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:06 pm 

No dude, you're doing it wrong! If you train your arms directly, you are going to have only problems.
So you want to look nice and gals to like you, then you could at least read something for an hour and that should be enough.
If you do triceps isolations you are going to ruin your elbow. If you do curls, nothing is going to happen. If you do only bench press you are going to ruin your shoulders and small back muscles.
Ok, you don't believe me. Imagine that in a 7 months you have big arms with your training. And you go to beach. What happens with every other body part? You won't have back, legs, midsection, neck, anything!
If you do compounds, you will have everything bigger.
Those curls and triceps extensions are for bodybuilders that are on drugs and have many hormones in bloodstream. You need to make those hormones by yourself (if you don't use drugs), and you can do that only with whole-body movements.
Just do this movements:
1. Deadlift
2. Squat
3. Pull-up
4. Row
5. Push press
6. Bench press
You can do three of them on one day, and other three on second day in a week, and that will be enough for first two years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:23 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

There's no reason he shouldn't work his arms if that's what keeps him coming back to the gym time after time. If he seriously works at an arm routine, he definately will get bigger in that area without the need for drugs, etc.

That above statement depends of course on him continuing to keep his main routine in compound exercises as stated by everyone in this thread already.