ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question for Matt Z
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:54 pm 

Matt,

Your pulling strength is incredible, you pull $h1t that makes my mind just boggle. How would you suggest working up to such numbers? My main concern is that when I do BB bent over rows it's my lower back that takes a beating, and I cant seem to get a good ROM on the row portion. I can pull a ton with chest supported rows or cable rows, DB rows I think are ok (still light for you), but unsupported rows eat my lunch. Any advice?

Also, advice on programming snatch grip high pulls would be appreciated (where to start, what the progression should look like).

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Question for Matt Z
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:31 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

You might try doing Barbell Bent-over Rows at a 45-degree angle (chin up/eyes forward). Take a medium, overhand grip and pull the bar from the top of your knees to your waist so that the bar lightly brushes your thighs the whole way. This will put your lower back in a very strong position comparable to the starting point of a Barbell Rack Pull.

Later, you can try Pendlay Rows, which are more difficult (technique and loading). I've used both over the years.

I've always done High Pulls with a clean grip. I treat them like a light, explosive deadlift, and include them in one of my two leg workouts. Snatch-grip High Pulls would be very similar, although you may need to go a little lighter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:35 pm 

Note: I wouldn't recommend using a wide grip on 45-degree barbell rows. This exercise has a relatively short range-of-motion and using a wide grip would only further shorten it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:59 am 

From what you've written so far I think maybe I'm leaning too far forward (I always try to go for a flat back parallel to the floor) and too wide of a grip. I'll try your 45 degree suggestion with a clean grip, see how that goes.

Thanks!