ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: advice on running shoes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:48 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I was recently wearing custom orthotics in a brooks pureflow shoe. I have had a number of soft tissue injuries such as achilles tendonosis, which is why the orthotics were recommended to me 4 yrs ago. I still get some nagging pains while running however i found that i do not get the pain while running barefoot (which my podiatrist recommended i avoid).

I am looking at trying some barefoot/minimalist shoes and am wondering if anyone can recommend any based on personal experience.

edit: when i wear orthotics,i feel as if i heel strike, and it causes my over pronation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:20 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I've had a pair of Merrell's for nearly a year and a half now. They've held up pretty good. I wear them pretty much everywhere in addition to my workouts except during times of snow like it's been for the past week. Can't remember the exact type and I'm not wearing them now due to the snow. I'm quite impressed with them and plan to get another pair once my current ones wear out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:05 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

thanks! i ended up going with the vivo stealths.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:56 pm 
former lurker

I recommend to buy specially designed Louis Vuitton shoes for women. It has been found that women spend more time standing than a man. I really felt great comfort and style with these shoes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:05 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Anna_09 wrote:
I recommend to buy specially designed Louis Vuitton shoes for women. It has been found that women spend more time standing than a man. I really felt great comfort and style with these shoes.

Thanks Anna. Do you know if they have size 13's (US)?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:26 am 

Anna_09 wrote:

Hey, Anna_09, if you show up on this forum again, it had better be to make a serious and substantive contribution to the forum. If you are just building post count so that you can post links, you'll find yourself banned faster than Hoosegow could fall off a pair of Louis Vuitton shoes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:29 am 

sav wrote:
Anna_09 wrote:

Thanks Anna. Do you know if they have size 13's (US)?

Ah, sav? Are you thinking that this is a serious suggestion? It's not. Google "Louis Vuitton shoes" and see if there's anything there you could wear for a workout.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:56 am 

Hey!!!!! There are some shoes I'd do fine in. I did google the shoes and there are some apparently Chuck Taylor look alikes. Only, I aint paying 675 for a pair of squat shoes. Well, that's a lie. If they gave me 100 lbs on my squat, I'd buy them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:17 am 

Considering Nike and Adidas price their shoes at about $200 and there are good options at even less than that, I'd be really surprised that a $675 shoe would make any significant improvement over a $200 shoe.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you go to a discount place and get leftover stock from the previous year, you can save more than 50%. I only buy mid to high end Nike. Mainly because any pair I pick up is very comfortable and ends up lasting for several years. I never pay more than $70. Although with inflation I expect my next pair will likely around $75. Back in the 90's I was getting them under 60.