ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:57 pm 

Hi guys!
I have a question if somebody knows something about this. I did my first one-arm one-leg pushup before a couple of months, and I still can't do them for reps. I can do three singles in a row (with 2 sec pause), but I can't improve.
Is there a chance that if I do them every day, I could get elbow tendonitis? When I worked towards my first one-arm pushup, and I started doing some negatives and some hard variation of normal pushup every day, maybe three times per day, I had some pain in the right elbow, and I had to stop doing them for four weeks.
What do you think, how should I work on getting some reps? I don't want many reps, I just want to be able to do five of them, and then I'll just maintain that and work on other things.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:52 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@Stefan 93:

One-arm one-leg push ups strike me as an exercise one does to show off their level of fitness, not to build it.

You should break down the components of the exercise and work on those primarily (ie one arm one leg planks for balance, one armed push ups for strength) and then bring everything together once or twice a week.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:36 pm 

Yes, I know. But I don't have much time to train. I'm studying, and this semester I could only train either on friday or saturday because I had very stupid schedule... I'm now third year (it will take me 1.5 or 2.5 years to finish), and when I finish, I'll get strong in a year or two with normal exercises.
Thanks, it sounds good!
I bought one of those ab-wheels and I'm steadly progressing towards doing it on toes (not on knees). What do you think, do I need to do those planks if I'm doing this already?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:31 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@Stefan 93:

Stefan 93 wrote:
I bought one of those ab-wheels and I'm steadly progressing towards doing it on toes (not on knees). What do you think, do I need to do those planks if I'm doing this already?

If you're rolling out with the ab wheel on your toes consistently, you're doing better than I am. You might want to take my advice with a grain of salt. :red:

Still, the feeling here is that it is better to mirror the movement as much as possible so the motor skills gained carry over from training to practice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:01 pm 

Stephen Johnson wrote:
If you're rolling out with the ab wheel on your toes consistently, you're doing better than I am. You might want to take my advice with a grain of salt. :red:

I only need 2cm (1 inch) more to fully extend. I'm not there yet. Advices from BeastSkills are really good, and doing them against the wall (so you can progress every week) was the most important part.

Thank you very much Stephen :grin: