ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:05 am 
n00b
n00b

Hey, i was thinking about changing up my workout routine and did a lot of searching but in the end i thought the best option would be to get some answers here.
At the moment i am training 4 times a week and i was thinking about adding 2 ab days into. On Monday i do chest+biceps+abs (Regural crunches on the roman stool 3xmax + leg rises 3xmax).

On Tuesday i do legs.

On Wednesday i have a rest day.( I though doing this an 10-20min rowing/running/cycling + 10min ab instead.)

On Thursday i do back+shoulder(back)+ab(Crunches on roman stool 3xmax+turning with weights on roman stool 3xmax(dont know the right name for the exercise)

On Friday i do front and mid part of shoulders+triceps.

Saturday and Sunday are rest days. I was thinking about adding another ab day on saturday.

Would it be a good idea to remove ab days from Monday and Thursday and move them to resdays where i can dedicate more time to them. I also Though that maybe i should do crunches with weights on work out days and more cardio like ab exercise on rest days (Coming to 4 AB days a week)
I love training but i do not want to over do it. I know that each person is a bit different but the basics should remain the same for everyone.

I hope the threads wording isn't too horrible
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:28 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

na, you'll be fine. Add all the abs work you want. Do it after workouts, on rest days, whatever.

The body has a TREMENDOUS capacity for work, and you'd be lucky to be able to push yourself even close to overtraining. You might struggle a bit with the increase in workload at first but you'll adapt to it, just like any other training stressor.

Check out the training schedules for Olympic weightlifters, those guys put some unbelievable gym time in and they do ok.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:29 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Okay,
there is one question needed to know before I give any advice: Why? What's your goal? Why do you consider adding extra ab-days?
And also, I'd like to see how your leg and back workouts look like, because those days usually work the core as well

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:43 am 
n00b
n00b

robertscott wrote:
na, you'll be fine. Add all the abs work you want. Do it after workouts, on rest days, whatever.

The body has a TREMENDOUS capacity for work, and you'd be lucky to be able to push yourself even close to overtraining. You might struggle a bit with the increase in workload at first but you'll adapt to it, just like any other training stressor.

Check out the training schedules for Olympic weightlifters, those guys put some unbelievable gym time in and they do ok.

Thanks a lot.
For extra knowledge, this is what my back nad leg day look like.

2 day - the front and rear of the thigh, leg in Series
Squat lever, the lever withers 4 x 6-10
Leg press roller Notes 3 ​​x 8-10
Colon squat machine, smith, 3 x 8-10
A leg extension for the roller Notes 3 ​​x 10-12
Legs, arching prone roller Notes 3 ​​x 8-10
Deadlift lever straight legs 3 x 10 -12
Sitting on the rim extension roller Notes 3 ​​x 8-10
Jalapressil rim stretched 3 x 10-12
Rim standing dumbbell extension 3 x 8-10
3 day
  - The back, shoulder, rear end, stomach Series
Chin pulling additional weight of 3 x 6-8
Snap a lever against the abdomen with a bent 3 x 8-10
Thrust roller Notes Ala, narrow grip 3 x 10-12
Over Dumbbell snatch (pullover) 3 x 8-10
Flying tilted forward dumbbells 3 x 8-10
Shrug block system 3 x 8-10
Lever Deadlift 4 x 8-10
Body Lift abdominal bench 3 x max
Body Turns roller Notes 3xmax

I used google translate to translate it all so i hope you understand what i mean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:54 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

What is a lever deadlift/squat? Do you mean some sort of machine, or is it just free weights (barbell)?
Don't worry about your english, we aren't all native speakers so we understand and using the language will get you better at it.
Also, why do you consider adding extra ab days?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:12 am 

Overtraining really just means that you aren't paying enough attention to your recovery. The human body is capable of amazing volumes of work if you have become accustomed to it and provide the recovery support that you need. However, if you don't eat enough quality food, don't get enough sleep and abuse your body with drugs and alcohol, you will "overtrain" quite easily.

Focus on the balance between rest, nutrition and training and go by what works for you.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:44 am 
n00b
n00b

Dub wrote:
What is a lever deadlift/squat? Do you mean some sort of machine, or is it just free weights (barbell)?
Don't worry about your english, we aren't all native speakers so we understand and using the language will get you better at it.
Also, why do you consider adding extra ab days?

Its not my english it is Google translate :P. Yea it is free barbell and the "colon" squat is like stepped out squats with barbells.

To be honest.
I sleep atleast 9 hours a day, i eat very healthy and drink IF only 1 time a month.

I do this because i wanna keep the fat burning even on rest days, and as i said, i love to train

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:49 am 
Novice
Novice

how is your intensity during those workouts? What is rest time between sets and the type of rep range you got? Those are all factors that must be looked at.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:56 am 
n00b
n00b

Immortal2 wrote:
how is your intensity during those workouts? What is rest time between sets and the type of rep range you got? Those are all factors that must be looked at.

My rest time is between 1-2min. 2 Min likely occurs with deadlifts and squats.
My rep range is between 8-12 depending on the exercise.
I always train as hard as i can. For example yesterday (back day) I really left like i was going to die after deadlifts xD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:34 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm gonna say that you can do ab exercises on the off-days, sure. The body will adapt and learn to recover if your nutrition and sleep is ok. It will help you to get a stronger core.

But I will also say this: Your body grows while resting, not while working. Working out is the demolisher of the muscle tissue, which is of course needed to rebuild it even more, but the real growth and gains from working out come from the hours after the workout. A hard resistance training session can alter your metabolism for over 16-48 hours. Doing extra ab work for just the sake of burning more fat is not needed in my opinion. You will get fat if you eat too much, so control the nutrition of the rest days, and you have no such issue. You can't out-train a bad diet (I'm not saying you have a bad diet, but this sentence is very true).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:14 am 
n00b
n00b

Ok so i know that i will not over train now. But could you bring some examples on how to over train.
Is it if i do not get enough rest, eat bad, drink and try to give it my maximum in the gym?

Just something i could easily explain to others.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:16 am 

s3v3ns wrote:
Ok so i know that i will not over train now. But could you bring some examples on how to over train.
Is it if i do not get enough rest, eat bad, drink and try to give it my maximum in the gym?

Just something i could easily explain to others.

exceeding your capacity to recover caused by not eating enough, not sleeping enough and not allowing ample recovery time between workouts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:36 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

If you work too much for too long, so that the body can't handle the load and meet this work with sufficient recovery, you will overreach. When this goes on even longer, you will become overtrained. There is no certain amounts or standards for that.