ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:40 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hey guys, I decided to try something new (well a little) I recently hit my 8 rep goal for 300 pounds (video on the other post) and now I want to cut total reps per set back down for all workouts. I want to work in the 5 rep range to build some serious strength and was wondering if this is a good workout to try an accomplish that. It is basically a modified version of stronglifts. (ALL OF MY WORKOUTS ARE MODIFIED FROM STRONG LIFTS. ONLY THING I USUALLY CHANGE IS REPS AND SETS. THIS TIME, HOWEVER, IM CHANGING A LITTLE BIT MORE.)

Sunday
Squat 8X5, 1X20
Bench 5X5
Row 5X5
Military Press 5X5

Monday
Deadlift 3X5) (This is the biggest difference. Trying to put deadlift in between the days but keeping volume dead low)
Shrugs 3X5
Front Squat 3X5
Maybe 10 minutes of jump rope (Though I want to keep cardio minimal for this specific workout.)

Tuesday
Squat 8X5, 1X20
Bench 4X5
Row 4X5
Mili Press 4X5
Dumbell Bench and Incline Dumbell Bench 2X5 each
Lat Pull Down and Cable Rows 2X5 each
Shoulder Front Raises (straight arm) and side raises 2X5 each
Leg Ext and Leg Curl 2X5 each
(This will be a tough day but I need the assistance work as I find that it definitely helps me in terms of the Big 5 Lifts)

Wednesday
Dead Lift 2X5 (1 set less than I will do Monday)
Front Squat 3X5
Maybe Shrugs for 3X5 although I really want to save energy for Thursday which is the hardest day planned

Thursday
Squat 12X5 1X20
Bench 6X5
Row 6X5
Mili 6X5
This will be the toughest day, I can already tell I will be faitgued greatly just from the squats

Friday
Rest or Light Front Squats and/or assistance work

Saturday
Absolute Rest

The reason why Im doing this is because I want to emphasize on strength greatly and I want to overload my body this week since Im on spring break. I will only be doing this for one week then back down to lifting only 3 days a week with cardio in between.
I also want to take this week to truly focus on leg strength thats why I added front squats on off days along with deadlifts. However, I will still keep the sets and reps low. I understand that doing this workout will lead to overtraining but that is only if it is going to be done for longer than 1 to 2 weeks. I have also experimented with similar loads and have found that it helps build strength quite a bit. Although this is a new type of system I thought of.

Is there anything that you guys would consider adding or subtracting from this workout? I need all the help I can get.

Edit:

I will also do my very best to eat at least 500 or more calories every single day while I am doing this. I will add in more eggs and dfinetly more gluten free bread. (Im a celiac. FOund out last year. I'm also allergic to dairy and cant tolerate too much soy. Even too much corn gets to me but gluten and dairy are the number 1 killers of me. Anyone else have allergies? )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:34 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I don't like the look of it; it just seems a bit mad to me. I don't necessarily think overtraining is a worry, but I would be concerned about injury to your joints with all that squatting and deadlifting. Remember that your joints take longer to recover than your muscles and you are doing a TON of low back intensive stuff. Nothing like a back injury to make you put the brakes on your training, trust me.

And you said that you recently hit a good goal, that's good, so if you're training well just now and hitting PRs, why change anything?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

robertscott wrote:
I don't like the look of it; it just seems a bit mad to me. I don't necessarily think overtraining is a worry, but I would be concerned about injury to your joints with all that squatting and deadlifting. Remember that your joints take longer to recover than your muscles and you are doing a TON of low back intensive stuff. Nothing like a back injury to make you put the brakes on your training, trust me.

And you said that you recently hit a good goal, that's good, so if you're training well just now and hitting PRs, why change anything?

Truth is 8 reps burn me out after 2 weeks . I admit that an 8 rep workout is possibly the most intense scheme with best results for me but the fatigue it causes me is ridiculous after doing it for 2 weeks. For example , I don't think I could've hit 305 for 8 today so I did 315 for 5 instead and a couple sets of 5 as well with other numbers..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:13 am 

Immortal2 wrote:
robertscott wrote:

Truth is 8 reps burn me out after 2 weeks . I admit that an 8 rep workout is possibly the most intense scheme with best results for me but the fatigue it causes me is ridiculous after doing it for 2 weeks. For example , I don't think I could've hit 305 for 8 today so I did 315 for 5 instead and a couple sets of 5 as well with other numbers..

315 for 5 is not that different to 305 for 8, and I doubt it stays under some magical overtraining line. I think all this talk of burning out is in your head - you expect it to happen so it does. There's guys out there doing more than you and they don't overtrain or burn out or whatever because it just doesn't occur to them it could happen.

if you feel fatigued, take a day off. Don't overcomplicate it. Still don't feel recovered? Take another day off and eat a bit more.

I mean you're talking about burning out or whatever, then you post a routine that has you squatting or deadlifting every single day!

I would just keep doing what you're doing, eat a bit more and rest a bit more than you are currently and chill out man, you're doing fine.