ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:43 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I have been doing bodybuilding type routine 2 years. I did cable row and normally on that excercise I don't use my low back at all and kept it still while my hands and scapula was doing all work.

Well year ago one day I had 220 lbs and on my last rep as reflex I assisted with lower back. Now there's nothing wrong doing assisted cheat rep but unfortnally on that rep it was so sudden that I snapped my back. Next day it took me 10 minutes just to tie my shoes because stretching back just hurt so much.

After 2 weeks my back was okay again, but I can tell it's not same. Any excercise where I assist with erector spinae my back gets exhausted and it's too much pain to do anything.

I went to check out with 5 different therapist /chiros and none of them could do really anything.

It wasn't until I did self massage 3times a day with ball/foamroller I could relive my tightness which effected my strain. My most tight spot in body is actually Quadratus Lumborum. By massaging that spot it felt like I never had any back problems at all.

Doing squats/deadlift doesn't hurt back itself. It's after effect. It gets soo numb. If I don't massage it, it will show as pain. So I'm doing massage with this by hanging against wall between sets and everything is fine. I can deadlift with sumo atm 440lbs.

I want to do once per week squat and deadlift. I have squat day monday and deadlift thursday. But I'm always afraid as my weights go up. Maybe my body shouldn't deal with them at all? Or should I just lift and massage myself everyday to remove this weird congestion that returns after every 30 min or so. My back at least much better than it was 1 year ago I can tell you that.

I managed to do squats or deadlift once per 3 weeks without massaging ball but now I can do them twice per week without hurting as long as I keep constantly massaging. If I don't strain will grow bigger and after 1 set I have to stop because it hurts. Really strange problem.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:45 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

if it doesn't hurt while doing them then you're probably ok but you need to seriously address the weakness in your core and glutes or it'll only get worse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:08 pm 

Make sure your technique is sound.

Some people (myself included) prefer to do Back Squats and Deadlifts (or Romanian Deadlifts) together to give themselves more recovery time. Others find doing both is too much for one workout.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:18 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@excore:

You're using a good amount of weight in your lifts.

Just curious - how old are you?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:10 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Ok well I guess it's nothing then. If it's not hurting and it's working and massage is helping then I will continue with it.

I Just turned 30 years but I've been doing powerlifting (3lifts) like 6 months. Considered 638lbs is raw record in my weight class I still have lot to aim for.

Thing is that I can lift with sumo lot more weights than conventional if I want to keep my back straight so just theory but maybe it could be muscle imbalance where muscles around my hips can't keep up with my legs? My squat is only 330lbs so maybe try to balance my hip with squats and lower weights with sumo without trying to go for failure/progress like 1 year? I really can't svitch to conventional deadlift as that+squat really is too much for my back for rest.

This is my program atm

Monday deadlift: First week 4x4 and second week 6x14
Tuesday: hypertrophy for chest+upperback.
Thursday squat: First week 6x14 and second week 4x4.
Friday: hypertrophy+power for chest+upper back.

I do heavy sets once per week 4x4 on dl or squat. I do everything with same weight and try to brake record on my last set. Been working really nice so far.

I'm not sure what kind auxiliary I should add after squats/deadlifts atm. I'm doing weighted crunches+planks only. I'm not doing anything with my hams/glutes/hip flexors atm. Any suggestion and do you find it nevessary if you're doing deadlift/squats actively allready?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:35 am 

"I Just turned 30 years but I've been doing powerlifting (3lifts) like 6 months. Considered 638lbs is raw record in my weight class I still have lot to aim for."

People that compete in powerlifting spend many years improving their technique and strength. Take the long view and be patient. Small improvements over the long term add up.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

excore wrote:
I Just turned 30 years but I've been doing powerlifting (3lifts) like 6 months.

Well, that shoots down my hunch that you're an older lifter who is taxing his body too much and too fast with heavy lifting. :red:

excore wrote:
Thing is that I can lift with sumo lot more weights than conventional if I want to keep my back straight so just theory but maybe it could be muscle imbalance where muscles around my hips can't keep up with my legs?

Here are two links that address the sumo deadlift vs conventional deadlift issue:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... st_for_you

Personally, I started out with the conventional deadlift, and I found that I could lift more sumo style. I'm tall (6'6"), so a shorter lever works better for me. But I prefer the conventional deadlift, since I can feel it work my upper back more.

Kenny Croxdale, a professional powerlifter often comments on this board. I think I remember him doing a posting about conventional vs sumo deadlifts, but I couldn't find it. Maybe he'll chime in here later.

Good luck with your training - not that you seem to need it.