ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: protein shakes?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:45 am 
Novice
Novice

A friend has started using whey (not sure) protein by body fortress and thinks it would benefit my workouts. Is there much difference in building strength using protein shakes than without? Since I'm already working out I'm hoping protein shakes will maximize my efforts? Appreciate all insight.

Post subject: Re: protein shakes?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:58 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

If you're not getting enough protein in your diet from whole foods, whey can help you build muscle.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:41 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@abacoian:

In the short term, drinking a post-workout shake made up of a fast-acting protein (like whey) and a high-glycemic index carb (like glucose) will help you make faster gains in your muscular strength and size.

Long term, though, drinking a shake after a workout appears to offer little if any benefit over a good diet. Nearly all of the studies touting the benefits of post-workout protein shakes are short term studies. Long term studies on the subject have been both few and inconclusive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:47 pm 

it's a convenience thing, really. You don't NEED them but there are times when it's handy to own a tub

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:54 am 
n00b
n00b

I have some bodybuilder friends. They say that protein shakes are a waste of money and you should instead (if you want to buy something) Get BCAA and some multivitamins. You need to eat healthy if you want to grow and a healthy diet consists of plenty of proteins. Just calculate how much protein you eat daily. I personally eat some cottage cheese and eggs before workout and some chicken after and i am getting some awesome results.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:37 pm 

A recent study showed that Whey was better than isolated aminos. If you don't need individual amins, stick with whey. SOrry, I don't have the link. I think it was something Suppversity posted in Facebook.

Edit: Here it is.

Quote:
Another study to confirm: Whey protein is superior to free form amino acids - even if the AA profile is identical

In this latest iteration of the never-ending "whey" > "AA" story (by the way, you are aware that the only reason it is "never-ending" is that the supp companies make a greater revenue on useless amino acid products compared to whey), researchers from the University of Tokyo were able to confirm that not just the net-protein synthesis, but also the expression of signalling proteins that control the former differ with whey vs. an identical amino acid composition:

"These results suggest that ingestion of WPH, compared with ingestion of a mixture of amino acids with an identical amino acid composition, induces greater changes in the post-exercise gene expression profile via activation of the proteins ERK1/2 and HIF-1a"

Reference: Kanda, Atsushi, et al. "Post-exercise impact of ingested whey protein hydrolysate on gene expression profiles in rat skeletal muscle: activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 and hypoxia-inducible factor-1α." The British journal of nutrition (2014): 1-12.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:22 am 
Novice
Novice

I use two scoops of whey with oatmeal for breakfast most every day. Whey isn't magic, but it's a quick way to get a good whack of protein. If you have never had it before, try a small sample first and make sure your stomach plays nice.