ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:24 pm 
n00b
n00b

I've been dealing with anxiety for about 4 years now off and on. I don't have it 100% of the time but certain situations can trigger it and lead to panic attacks. For those not familiar during a panic attack my heart will start racing like I sprinted a mile, I'll feel light headed, can't catch my breath, arms and legs start to get tingly feeling like they are falling asleep, and I just can't think straight.

Anyway, it's been happening while working out now. I think because the feelings I get while working out are very similar to that of a panic attack. It's extremely frustrating because I love working out and it's been an outlet for me for around 9 years now. I had made great gains but now because on the anxiety I am not pushing myself at all. I realize that nothing bad will really happen and it's all irrational thoughts but it's not fun going through it all. The heavy breathing and burning in my chest and things trigger it. Certain exercises to do like bench press, shoulder press, and squats. Basically any exercise where when I start breathing heavy and get anxiety I can't just walk away easily. After a panic attack I always feel drained similar to after a tough leg day so I can't just go back and pick up where I left off.

Now, I think that while working out I'm so tuned into my breathing that rather than just breath without thinking about it I'm hyperventilating. I need to relearn proper breathing techniques while also trying to reel in the anxiety. I know I have to just push through and keep exposing myself to it but the point of this post is to see if anyone else is dealing with this? Or does any one have any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:24 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

see a healthcare professional

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:54 am 
n00b
n00b

I am but they don't lift weights so they don't have the same kind of insights as people on here might. They can offer the suggestions for general anxiety and coping strategies butdon't have the experience lifting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:22 am 

I wouldn't be holding a heavy weight above my head or face until I had my anxiety attacks under control, personally

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:40 pm 
n00b
n00b

My thoughts exactly. Any suggestions on how to overcome this? Any tips on how to control my breathing better than just the standard out while pushing?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:41 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I have had exactly one panic attack in my life and it was terrifying. I can only imagine that it would be frustrating and discouraging to experience this as a regular thing - unpredictable and probably always at the worst time.

Can we assume you have been offered the two routes available from professionals: psychiatric and psychological?

The psychiatric route will give you meds to control the symptoms. The psychological approach will assume there is some emotional conflict buried somewhere that needs to be identified and addressed, and that doing so will at very least reduce the attacks and in the best case eliminate them altogether. Personally I'm big into the psychological route.

At any rate meditation is a great thing to learn. How far have you gone with it? It is easy to learn on your own, great to do with like-minded friends (which I rarely get to do), and generally great for health. What have you tried there.

But here is a question: what do you for your panic attacks? Do you have any technique to mitigate them or reduce them? If so, have you tried that while working out?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:27 pm 
n00b
n00b

I used to have severe panic attacks, and I have reduced it to a manageable level by following these tips:
a. Muscle relaxation techniques. Everytime when your muscles tensed up, you will shirt all your attention towards relaxing the muscle. The idea here is that you can't be anxious and relaxed at the same time.

b. Get medications from psychiatrist. I was prescribed Xanax in case the attack is too strong to be controlled.

c. Mindfulness. Practice to stay more in the present moment to prevent yourself from dwelling into the past.

If all else fails, consider attending a hypnotherapy session. As KenDowns said, this approach can be used to help you voice out your emotional conflict, and the therapist will decipher what it means.

Hope it helps :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've faced the same issue, and I handled it the same ways Poptart did. So I would second that advice.