ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:07 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey guys, i need some advice. I want to start a cut and there are some things i really can not get answers to.
I am almost 190cm tall and 96-97kg atm. I have been lifting close to a year now and i would say im in a pretty good condition at the moment. I eat well (6-7 meals a day), i weight train 6 times a week and cardio on sundays.
I know that some people hate the premade programs on bodybuilding but i am finishing up with the Arnolds Blueprint at the moment, and i must say it love it. It is intense and and it mixes up different things which i enjoy. I do not really want to think about making my own program and that is why i decided to try that and it works for me well.
So to start a cut, i was thinking of staying on this program but lower my calories and try IF (intermittent fasting). I have done some reading about it and for fat burning it seems effective. I can not really say my fat % at the moment, but i would say under 15% or maybe even lower. I have 6 pack(not ripped or anything). I also thought about starting doing HIIT after the workouts. They are really hard but i think i will manage.
Any thoughts?
All opinions are more than welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:31 am 
n00b
n00b

I'd worry more about diet than exercise. My personal opinion (tho others will differ on here) is that its mostly just cutting out processed carbs (sugary drinks/sweets being the main culprit) and MOST people will be fine weight wise. Next in the pecking order would be refined breads and rice and whatnot. Most nowadays recommend saying no too whole starches and most fruit while trying to loose weight. My personal experience as long as its just one or two servings of each, I don't do so bad. I don't know what your diet is like currently...low carb does generally work very well for weight loss.

I'd also consider working out less as well (shocking right?). Maybe instead of intense stuff, a couple days a week, do a nice long hike instead. Intense stuff revs my appetite and I need a lot of calories too continue doing it. This is all my personal anecdotal evidence of what generally works for me. Then again, I'm not trying to get incredibly low bodyfat either...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:49 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I do not think you read all i wrote. As i said, i eat healthy, no processed foods, no direct sugars. I eat 1 kiwi 1 banana a day. I dont want to cut down on my exercise because since i have a really busy life because of higher education that hour or two really help me clear my head. And hiking... not for me. I like gym and i wanna stay with that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:05 am 
n00b
n00b

Well then...what advice are you exactly asking for? Different lifts? Fat burning lifts? I know you asked about IF and HIIT...give it a go and see. Personally I think that much working out, with HIIT AND high volume strength training followed by calorie restriction is not good for any reasonable amount of time. If you do it for short bursts, then maybe. If you won't deviate from your current regiment (must goto gym X times a week because you enjoy the gym above all else), and you already are eating well, I fail to see what advice we could give you to be helpful? My personal advice is a couple days a week, find an activity other than the gym. Doesn't have to be hiking that was just a suggestion. Could be a sport you enjoy perhaps like golf or tennis. Or a bike ride. If it must be the "sterilized" environment of the gym, could walk on the treadmill for awhile or something...

Another question I would ask...why are you trying to get really low bodyfat %? Aesthetic value? Looking to compete at bodybuilding? Just curious.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:28 am 

Make sure you continue the resistance training to maintain your muscle. HIIT can help the cutting process, it's also helpful in keeping fat down while bulking. Some hill sprints, kettlebell work, strongman, etc all do the job. Long relaxing/fun activity is good for your rest days. Stay active, move often.

Keep your protein high and your calories low. Shoot for about 1.5 lbs loss a week. You're a big guy so you can sustain a little faster rate than smaller people but too fast will cost you. That rate should be sustainable with minimal or no muscle loss. Make sure you take measurements, waist, skinfolds, etc. As a rule of thumb, you should see about a 1/4 inch off your waist each week. Otherwise, you may be losing muscle.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:31 am 

mattsouth wrote:

Another question I would ask...why are you trying to get really low bodyfat %? Aesthetic value? Looking to compete at bodybuilding? Just curious.

Most people gain muscle fastest when they stay in a relatively narrow body fat range. The range that works best for most people is 10-15%. Therefore, the OP is correct.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:40 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I want to get more definition in the muscles and when everyone else have stubborn ab fat, i have stubborn inner thigh fat that i would like to reduce. I do aim for like 12%.

All in all, i hoped you guys could look that program, since i can not post it here and say if maybe i should change something with reps/sets. They are changing a lot for example from 10x4 to 4x12 to 1x30 5x5 etc...

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photo ... o/53284522

1 of my progress photos, maybe paints a better picture

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:41 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ s3v3ns

Lets assume you are correct about your body fat level (most "measurements" aren`t really that close to reality), you will probably need a more intelligent aproach to loosing fat, than someone with a higher body fat level and perhaps being a beginner concerning weight training.

You should concentrate on either building muscle or loosing fat.

When you want to loose fat now, you should just train enough to maintain your muscle mass, but not too much, because your recovery will be limited. As a rule of thumb keep your intensity high and cut volume and frequency to one third. Concentrate on the major compound excercises.

Aim for 2 - 4 gr. of protein per kg bodyweight in your diet. Eat more on training days (preferably around and after your training session) and less on non training days. Perhaps something along the lines of "EOD Refeeds" or "Intermittant Fasting: Leangains Method". Some of these methods come with their own tested trainingplan. The homepage of Lyle McDonald (bodyrecomposition.com) could be a valuable ressource for you. He has his own take on the topic with the "Ultimate Diet"...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Crow wrote:
@ s3v3ns

Lets assume you are correct about your body fat level (most "measurements" aren`t really that close to reality), you will probably need a more intelligent aproach to loosing fat, than someone with a higher body fat level and perhaps being a beginner concerning weight training.

You should concentrate on either building muscle or loosing fat.

When you want to loose fat now, you should just train enough to maintain your muscle mass, but not too much, because your recovery will be limited. As a rule of thumb keep your intensity high and cut volume and frequency to one third. Concentrate on the major compound excercises.

Aim for 2 - 4 gr. of protein per kg bodyweight in your diet. Eat more on training days (preferably around and after your training session) and less on non training days. Perhaps something along the lines of "EOD Refeeds" or "Intermittant Fasting: Leangains Method". Some of these methods come with their own tested trainingplan. The homepage of Lyle McDonald (bodyrecomposition.com) could be a valuable ressource for you. He has his own take on the topic with the "Ultimate Diet"...

OK thanks man, i will check out this guy and try to make a nice meal plan. I must say, this is what i hate most about bodybuilding xD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:31 am 
n00b
n00b

Ok, when you said you have a visible six pack I assumed that there probably wasn't much fat storage anywhere else. Sorry for the assumption. Most guys get it around their midsection which I know is a general assumption.

Let us know how the HIIT works out if you are going to try it. Personally I don't find it good for fat loss myself. Stimulates my appetite too much...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:33 am 
Rookie
Rookie

mattsouth wrote:
Ok, when you said you have a visible six pack I assumed that there probably wasn't much fat storage anywhere else. Sorry for the assumption. Most guys get it around their midsection which I know is a general assumption.

Let us know how the HIIT works out if you are going to try it. Personally I don't find it good for fat loss myself. Stimulates my appetite too much...

Hehe ok. I must say i like the HIIT because it is not as tedious as running or cycling for an hour.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:58 am 
Rookie
Rookie

So, a little feedback and update if someone is interested.

Been following the same program(Arnolds blueprint) and added some HIIT after every workout(except on leg days, because i still want to get home), and of course the
intermediate fasting diet.
I must say i feel amazing. I love the mornings now since i can sleep a little bit longer and do not have to cook for the day. Even tho i am not eating breakfast i feel much more energetic trough out the day. Also my workouts, since i train fasted i thought they will be much worse than they are. As a matter of fact i was starting to rely on pre-workouts since i was kinda tired but now
my workouts are much more energetic as well. My strength has dropped very little, i think, but it might be placebo or just because i switched around the workout a bit.
My weight is down about 1kg and when i did some measurements then there was a huge drop around my ass but my waist and legs have not changed too much.
Abs do have a bit more definition but no size decreased, might be because i do 1 ab exercise every day + 8 - 10 minutes of back to back ab exercises on Sunday.

But that was my first week. I feel good and will continue with this fasting diet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:40 pm 
n00b
n00b

Fellow IF practitioner here. Doing workout in a fasted state has reduced my bodyfat dramatically (Drop in waist number while other body parts still remained the same) & I have never done any cardio or HIIT. Personally I feel like cardio is actually slowing my recovery, and I just let my diet to control the fat loss process.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:50 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Be careful with IF. I went to extremes and reduced my eating window too much and i started getting some serious heartburn. Its been 3 weeks now, i increased the window back to 8 hours and i started slowly recovering. Heartburn is really something you want to avoid.
But i can still see IF working, it may be the caloric deficit.
I must say small 10 round HIIT with 30 sec work 20+25sec rest is really good for me. I can feel that i am getting massively better in endurance.
Strength has dropped a little because on the first 2 weeks of heartburn i did not train.

But lately, i have read some articles that state that being in a caloric deficit is actually bad for your fat loss. Any ideas? Or does it some come back to "what works for you".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:09 am 
n00b
n00b

You're absolutely right with the feeding window part! I was greedy & I thought prolonging the fasting period will magnify the result. It didn't happen, and I struggled so much with stuffing all the calories within few hours time, so I revert back to 6-8hour feeding window.

Personally, I think that the reason they discourage you from staying in a calorie deficit for too long is because it will interfere with the production of leptin, which is a master hormone responsible for regulating your hunger and metabolic rate.

To solve that problem, I would recommend having a carb refeed day once per week. Every Wednesday I will have a cheat meal, & it will exceed my TDEE by 1000kcal. The other days I just eat at the same level as my TDEE, & I'm able to maintain a low body fat percentage. Doing so will result in an increase of energy expenditure and leptin concentration.

Sorry, but I can't post URL yet, but the above information is taken from a research paper listed in National Institutes of Health (NIH)'s website.