ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:03 pm 
n00b
n00b

I started lifting in earnest about 13 years ago, kept at it for about 7 years, and then let it slide. I'd like to get back into it, and I hit the gym again today for the first time since I left off. It felt pretty dang good.

When I started off, I was using a program suggested by either this site or the usenet weightlifting group. I can't recall what it was called, but it seems similar to HST, and I had great success with it.

The basic idea was to determine your one-rep max, then do a series of sessions where you started out at a low percentage of your ORM with higher repetitions, and gradually increase the percentage and reduce the reps. (this is if I recall correctly - anyway it did depend on starting from your ORM and doing percentages over successive weeks)

I've looked at "Periodic Training" on this site, and it seems somewhat similar but a little more complicated.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Back in 2000, I hadn't lifted in 20+ years, and was fat and pathetic. Within two years, with lifting and a common sense diet I was down to ~12% body fat and felt like a million bucks. It's time to get back into it!

Thanks for any tips!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:52 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

maybe it was Big Beyond Belief? It's quite similar to HST. I've never done it but everyone seems to love it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:54 pm 

The way you describe it sounds something like HST. http://hypertrophyspecific.com/hst_index.html

5-3-1 is a more modern program that offers more back for the buck. Also there is the issue of being 13 years older. This means you may have some mobility or flexibility issues you may have to address sooner than later.

What's really important is that you find something that you will stick with and actually do.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:30 pm 
n00b
n00b

stuward wrote:
Also there is the issue of being 13 years older. This means you may have some mobility or flexibility issues you may have to address sooner than later.

Thanks so much. Yeah, I'm 51, and no spring chicken. But if my doctor is correct, I'm much healthier than I have any right to be. But I know a lot of guys lifting at my age or older that are doing okay.

The only mobility/flexibility issue I've had has been being diagnosed with a bone bruise on my clavicle, what my ortho called "Weightlifter's Shoulder" (is that a real thing? Ironic), about a year ago. It was painful at the time, and he said that it may not heal itself, but if it did, it'd be months. Well, a year later and six hours after a routine that used machines for chest and shoulder presses, the shoulder seems fine. I guess I'll find out for sure in the next couple days. But my knees are fine, my hips are fine. Heart & Lungs are those of -- a 51 year old.

Can someone point me to the "5-3-1" program? That's a tough name to search Google for.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:36 am 

This will get you started. http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/

You should buy the book. http://www.amazon.ca/Simplest-Effective ... ds=wendler

Typing 5-3-1 into Google would have worked. Except for the arithmetic calculator Google provided, every item on the first page was about the program.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:34 am 

For starting a new program especially coming back from a long break, you should start with an introductory phase of stability training. Not talking about bosu balls and such. Slow reps of low weight. Get the stability up in the joints and core before attempting power lifts. On top of that your strength as you know goes up quickly in the first few weeks so there's no point in testing it now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:36 pm 
n00b
n00b

ironmaiden708 wrote:
For starting a new program especially coming back from a long break, you should start with an introductory phase of stability training. Not talking about bosu balls and such. Slow reps of low weight. Get the stability up in the joints and core before attempting power lifts. On top of that your strength as you know goes up quickly in the first few weeks so there's no point in testing it now.

Thanks - I was planning on using machines for a couple weeks just to get some base-level strength back, and then doing a week of free weights (at low intensity, checking form, etc), and then starting in on the HST thing, but your approach makes much more sense.

I've had breaks of a few months before, and usually adapted pretty quickly when I started in again. This is by far the longest break I've had, so my previous experience may not out.

I appreciate folks' comments - thanks a lot.