Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:42 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Hello everyone!

First off: I'm not dead.

Just thought I'd share a bit about the new program I have devised, which is to do whatever the heck I feel like.

I am actually not joking. My life has changed a lot in the last year and I have had to respond to new pressures. Work is picking up and I may be told I will travel with 4 days' notice. Travelling tends to wreck sleep, diet, AND workouts, so I needed a program that can respond to unexpected missed days and lost sleep. Since work is important and I am happy with how it is going, this is a pressure I want to accept.

Second, dating is fun! Given the choice between a pretty face and the gym (plus making everything else fit) the pretty face usually wins. OK, so that's not a "pressure" but a choice but I'm sure you get the point.

So the "program" such as it is follows what I have learned from Stronglifts, 5/3/1, competition, having a trainer these past 2 1/2 years, and most importantly the advice here to find what works for you. It comes down to this:

1) Keep a log. So it's not really "whatever I feel like" but more like whatever has waited the longest.

2) Basically run through 5/3/1 but don't expect strict 4 days/week and just do the next lift (like the 3-day variation except it's really the however-many-days variation)

3) When the stars line up and the pressures back off it basically reduces to 5/3/1

4) When the stars line up the other way and I miss a week or more then I will combine lifts when I get back. For example, today it has been two weeks (OMG never thought that would happen!) so I did deads plus sumo and then OHP and a bunch of dips.

5) I had to swallow the idea that gains might not happen for awhile until I can adjust and stabilize. I think in this situation focusing on gains would be counterproductive -- it can lead to frustration that will actually keep me out of the gym. Very bad. That was probably the hardest mental hurdle to leap.

I don't think I really have a question lol, just wanted to say hi and get back into some discussions.

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:35 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@Ken Downs:

Good to hear from you again.

You're doing the right thing - making the gym part of your life, rather than the focus of your life. Love and work definitely are more important - but being fit will help you enjoy both more.

Keep in touch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:18 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Nice to see you posting Ken.

Perhaps a little look at Dan John's one lift a day program might interest you? Just a thought.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:58 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

@Stephen: Thanks:

@Robert, I think I read the one lift a day program a long time ago - just went back and re-read it. Makes a lot of sense for my current situation. The precise 4 week thing might not work, but the surprise interruptions in training just become unscheduled deload periods, so it can all be adjusted.

I love how Dan John simplifies things. He once gave his entire theory of training as this:

1) Pick up heavy things from the floor
2) Put heavy things over your head
3) Push and pull heavy things
4) Run as fast as you can

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:29 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Yeah, I like that too. Think I'll steal it for myself.