ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:45 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I am not new to working out. Promise.
I used to go 5 days a week after a day of school and work. I had a great routine going and I was noticing some good muscle development in my legs. Life happened and I had to stop one of the 3 things so it was the gym.

I was able to pick up the gym again after putting on 50lbs and I got in shape enough to run a 5k and a 10k in 2013. Then I had to stop the gym again.

I'm not quitting this time. I need to get this under control. I've got my day schedule routine planned out. The only problem is food.

I currently live hand to mouth to gas tank and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on stuff they can pack and go. I looked at the diet section of exrx here and found some awesome dinner stuff, but nothing that i can really pick up and run out the door with in the mornings or that i can shake up real fast on a 15 min break or eat while driving to school. My only restrictions are lactose and gluten :/.

Currently I have my lunch bag packed with stuff for the day as follows:
2 celery sticks
Handful of carrots
1/2cup sugar free jello
3 strawberries
10 grapes
1 apple sliced
2 hardboiled eggs
1 cup cooked brown rice

and breakfast is:
3 slices of ham
1 glass oj/monster energy drink

I know it's not enough to last me through the day but i don't have time to blend a smoothie every morning and if there was a way to make smoothies on Sunday that'd last me the week that'd be awesometacular but i haven't found one that doesn't say "drink immediately".

Thanks for the time you took reading this!

KJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:20 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

get a non-dairy protein shake and have it for breakfast. I strongly advise against drinking a monster energy drink for breakfast.

buy tupperware and cook in bulk. That way you'll have something good for lunch. Your lunch looks to be lacking a bit in protein but seems pretty healthy otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:38 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Any non-dairy protein shake you recommend? I can mix it with rice milk I have that I like.

I try not to do the monster, and I've only started since I've had to start waking up at 4am for work. It's something I'm weeding out before it becomes a habit for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:51 pm 

I personally use a rice protein/leucine mix. Be warned though it tastes like filth! There's rice protein, pea protein, hemp protein, or you could try an EAA/BCAA supp instead. You'll just have to try and find one that suits your tastes. I don't mind choking down a horrific tasting rice protein shake but not everyone is quite as gross as I am.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:04 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

lol thanks. Good to know you're hardcore like that ^_^

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:23 pm 

KittenJ wrote:
lol thanks. Good to know you're hardcore like that ^_^

haha, yeah, total badass!

I'd actually much prefer just to drink whey, but like yourself I can't tolerate it.

Sometimes people who are lactose intolerant can handle drinking good quality whey isolate, so you might want to give that a try before you resign yourself to drinking one of the disgusting alternatives.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:56 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Actually I found a good organic whey that's gluten free that I'm finding I can handle pretty well

I'm thinking of incorporating casein into my regimen as well.. This is how i was going to structure my day with it

breakfast:
whey
fruit
whatever else i can find

lunch:
fruits
veggies
eggs
rice

@school snack:
whey
veggies
fruit

:gym:

dinner:
casein
food

advice? or is this a fair structure? I'm looking at casein because articles showed that casein incorporated with whey provide a better protein balance than just one or the other. I am home for no more than a few hours a day and most of my diet is lacking substantial food sources.. just snacks... and much of it is lacking protein and my increased workout load is, i think, making my intake need to be higher. I was thinking the whey could be a relative meal replacement or a snack replacement. I had it for breakfast this morning and it satisfied me more than a standard breakfast i've had before did. maybe my previous meal choices just sucked >_>

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:10 pm 

Looks good, I don't really see a need to combine casein and food for your dinner. You could just eat food. Some people like a casein shake before bed because it digests slowly but I don't know how necessary it really is unless you're trying to be a bodybuilder.

casein + whey compared to just whey on its own isn't going to make much real world difference in my opinion. Just because something can be measured in a lab, doesn't mean it'll make a difference in the real world. That's just my opinion though.

A protein shake for breakfast is great. I'm a big believer in keeping breakfast carbless too.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:12 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm thinking of keeping Casein as a dinner thing cuz I get home so late that eating that soon right before bed (an hour between getting home food an bed) is bad for your metabolism.

and i understand your idea about the casein and whey, i think i'll mess around with those and see if i can find a mixture i get decent results with.

Do not listen to those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious.—Og Mandino

For my nonconformity, society whips me with it's displeasure. -Emerson

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:30 pm 

eating before bed isn't bad for your metabolism. If you're hungry, then eat.

Trust your body to know when it needs food and when it doesn't

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:41 am 
Rookie
Rookie

There's nothing wrong with two cheese burgers from McDonalds. Anybody who says mcdonalds can't be incoporated into a healthy diet is missing the boat.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:50 am 
Rookie
Rookie

McDonalds?

Well, I'm sure fast food is a matter of preference. My body has never done well with fast food so I stay away from McDonalds, Arby's, Wendy's, Burgerking, etc as much as I can.

Do not listen to those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious.—Og Mandino

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:26 pm 

An easy mistake to make is to base advice on your own experience. It's a common to assume that what works for you must be best but it ignores that everyone is different. Some people can eat 2 cheeseburgers every day with no ill effects and it may even be optimal for them. For the next person, it may cause all manners of negative outcomes. In general, as a population, there is likely too much fast food being consumed and health problems and obeisity are results. This does not mean that all fast food needs to be avoided by everyone, but there are certainly cases where MacDonalds does need to be heavly restricted.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:35 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I can't tell if i should agree or disagree with you stu, so i'm going to go on the fence and say well said instead :)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:12 am 
Novice
Novice

For food I usually structure around a couple sources of protein and a couple starches and a ton of veggies. Example: cup of oats with two scoops whey for breakfast; 1.5 cups rice plus 200-250g lean protein plus 1.5 cups of vegetable (alternate for fun) for lunch; repeat lunch for dinner but alternate protein, starch, or both.

I like oats and jasmine/brown rice as carb sources. Also black beans and black bean products.

London broil and chicken breast with the occasional ground turkey, ribeye, or venison for protein.

Vegetables - I'll buy massive bags of mixed veggies and steam them in the microwave, then just scoop them out anytime I need to include some.

For food portability, check this thing out...it's a lunchbox. I use it every day. Hopefully the mods will be cool with the link.

http://www.zojirushi.com/products/slgre