ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:51 am 
Rookie
Rookie

That bento thing is kinda awesome. I prepare all my fruits and veggies for the week, store them in individual sandwich bags for each day then grab the bags from the fridge every morning.

Is oatmeal gluten free? I've never really been able to find a definitive answer on that one so I've stayed away from oatmeal but I wouldn't mind one of those single serving packets of oatmeal to take in the morning to change up my breakfast routine a bit.

Do not listen to those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious.—Og Mandino

For my nonconformity, society whips me with it's displeasure. -Emerson

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:52 am 

Pure oatmeal is gluten free but most is cross contaminated with wheat which is why most celiacs avoid it. If you're not celiac, you're fine. Of course, the gluten-free thing is over-rated anyway.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:05 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm gluten-sensitive which is why I was looking into it. Thanks, I'll check out sprouts or whole foods for some pure oatmeal :)

Do not listen to those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious.—Og Mandino

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think when people discover they are "gluten-sensitive", they are really just discovering that that they are healthier and feel better when eating less processed food. When you go gluten-free, you end up eating very little of the highly processed foods. It was those foods in general that were the problem, not the gluten.

I am positive that in a blind study, people who are eating very little processed food, and the only variable being one group's food being spiked with gluten, there would be no difference between the groups.

Gluten-free diets are healthier, but it has nothing to do with the gluten.

Kind of similar with the "drink X amount of water" crazes. It's not the water that helps, it's all the sugary soda and juice you AREN'T drinking that makes the difference. It's always "I seriously lost 30 lbs drinking a gallon of water a day. It's true, look." Indeed it is true, but it's the 1500 calories a day from sugar that has been removed which caused the weight loss.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:47 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I totally understand what you're saying and yes, I can agree with you easily. For me, personally, when I cut out gluten and the foods associated with it, my digestive system improved and I didn't have migraines anymore. That's my basis. I didn't do it for physical fitness health, just medical health.