ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:28 am 
n00b
n00b

Hello,

I am a 28-year-old female and I had two vertical laparotomies in the past 3 months, due to a borderline tumor. The first was to remove the tumor and the incision was about 10 cm long, below the navel, the doctor also made laparoscopic incisions before making the bigger incision, so I also have two small incisions on either side of my lower abdomen close to the pelvic bones and one through the navel. The second surgery was to remove parts of the peritoneum, the omentum and the left ovary and the incision was about 24 cm. 11 weeks have passed since the first surgery and 6 weeks since the second. I now have no pain in the interior, my scar sometimes has a bit of pain, like it is being overstretched, especially when I have been sitting down for too long, but there are two points on my scar where there are open superficial wounds, the one because of liquid, mostly old blood, that was gathering under the scar and the doctor emptied with a syringe and the other because of a small infection under the skin. I had both checked by a doctor.

I would like to ask about returning to my workout routines. Before the surgeries I was very active. I used to do weightlifting (squats, deadlifts, clean and jerk and other) 2-3 times a week, kickboxing training 2-3 times a week and on most of the weekends I would do some activity like whitewater kayaking (class III-IV), canyoning, rock climbing, snowboarding. I want to resume my activities and of course I understand I should have a rehabilitation period, but how long should that be and is there anything of the above that I should wait a longer time for? The doctors were not very specific in both cases. The basic info is the same, don't lift more than 6 kilos the first 3-6 weeks, start slow and notice when your body tells you to stop. I am especially worried about weightlifting because for squats and deadlifts I used to lift a lot and I want to get back to lifting fast because I am worried about strength and muscle loss, but I am worried about hernias and such.
I have been doing most of the above sports for the past 5 years and weightlifting for 6 years with a few breaks in between.

Thank you for reading.

Lydia

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:45 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I don't think anyone's going to be able to give you advice different to what your doctors have already given you. Just start as light as possible. It'll be frustrating and you'll hate it, but that's just the way it is.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:22 am 
n00b
n00b

Ah, ok. Well I thought I'd ask anyways. Just like the sticky says, there is no stupid question. Thanks for replying.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:32 am 

Lydia, your fitness will come back relatively quickly once you are able to get back into it but in the short term, reduce your calories appropriatly to compensate for your reduced activity. In the long run your fitness will improve faster if you can avoid injury so that should be your priority, but be as active as you can without causing discomfort or pain, as the activity will improve circulation and healing.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:15 am 
n00b
n00b

Thank you for the reply stuward. :)