ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:38 pm 
former lurker

Hi All,
I am new to the forum and have been training for about 1 year and a bit.

I was doing my normal seated rows when a guy came over and said i should use a bosu ball.

Can you please give me some feedback on why somebody would recommend this? I have never seen anybody do this before.

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:13 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

bethy_24 wrote:
I was doing my normal seated rows when a guy came over and said i should use a bosu ball.

Can you please give me some feedback on why somebody would recommend this? I have never seen anybody do this before.

If you're talking about seated cable rows or machine rows done on bosu balls, I haven't seen or heard of it either.

In my gym a couple of years ago, "stability training" (with bosu balls) was all the rage among personal trainers. But lately, trainers using bosu balls are rare. Just another fad that is running its course. The guy who told you to use a bosu ball is behind the times.

Quite frankly, serious strength training on an unstable platform like a bosu ball is a dumb idea. Balance is better trained by some athletic activity than strength training

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:13 am 
former lurker

Thanks a lot, I assumed as much, i tried one set with it and it did not feel right, curious why he suggested it though.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:10 am 

Probably was a pick-up line.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:20 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

He was either hitting on you and or trying to imply that using a bosu ball leads to better core activation. In my opionon the whole "core" movement is a bunch of BS.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indeed. I hate all the core crap. A bosu ball is a good way to reduce the effectiveness of a workout and increase your chances of having an accident.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:29 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Yes! I totally agree. By working everything at once you working nothing very well. For those of us old enough to remember working out in the 80s--it was the exact opposite craze then--machine based gyms and workouts were the rage based on the idea that super stable isolation was the most effective way to train. One day we will look back at the stability era and think it was just as absurd in its own way.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In some ways the isolation extreme never completely died. It's just about as silly. It can have a place in bodybuilding to a small extent though. It's never a substitute for the big primary lifts though.

I think those sorts of exercise fads are harmful in a way as they hamper progress, which in turn kills the motivation to continue.

Same thing with the cardio fad that started in the late 70's, where cardio was everything, and later gave us the "fat loss zone". It's been weakening the past few years but it still refuses to die.