Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Push/Pull/legs workout
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hey guys.

I'm getting back to training after 6 or 7 months off (3 of them consisted of travelling and drinking a lot with not much eating) so needless to say I lost some muscles (I lost 10kg BW). Been in the gym now for 2 weeks and its been pretty difficult :lol: but still good to be back.

I have lost a lot of strength. (Bench went from 100kg3x5 -> 75kg 3x5, Squat from 130kg3x5 -> 110kg1x5 which finished me, OH press from 70kg3x5 to 55kg3x5 etc .. You get the point) .. The bright sight is that it will come back quick if I work hard.

Okay enough of my life story. I was thinking about doing Push/Pull/legs focusing on heavy sets to help me gain my strength back.
I've put something together and I was hoping you could comment on the routine. Tell me what you think and what I should fix.

I like working out and I'm taking a break from the partying so I'm gonna try to go 4-6 times a week. Hope its not an overkill.
Push/Pull/Legs/Rest/Push/Pull/Legs would be the routine if I went 6 days a week. Of course this wont always be the case but you get my point. Always rest after I've gone 3 times in a row and try to go as often as I can (There probably wont be many weeks where I'll go 6 times tho)

So here it is. I'll be resting as much as I need between the heavy sets and exercises.

Push:
Bench press 3x5
Military press 3x5
Incline BP 3x5
Weighted dips 3x5
And then maybe finish with some tricep work (Close grip bench, pushdowns etc)

*I kinda want to add Arnies Flies in there after the dips. I know they're not gonna help me with strength but I like them and believe they help developing the pecs more nicely. What do you guys think? Can't harm?

Pull
Rack pulls 5x5*
Weighted pull ups/chins 3x6
Barbell row 3x8
Some bicep work.

*People probably gonna comment on why not deadlift? Personally I'm not in this to be a powerlifter. I want to build up a nice back and I think the rack pulls help me more there. Plus I feel there's a lot less risk of an injury.

Legs
Barbell squat 5x5
Leg press 3x8 or walk of death (We call it that in iceland. Hope you know what I'm talking about)
Leg curls 3x8
Calves

Been wondering if I should add leg extensions. Don't think it's necessary, let me know what you think.

Well that's it. I think its simple but effective. Let me know what you think, Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:32 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

How about the intensity? I doubt you could benefit much from the program if you use the same intensity 6 times a week. Maybe altering high, low and medium loads? Or then shortening the workouts. Six times a week is a lot. Be sure that you recover well enough

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:42 am 
Novice
Novice

After an injury I had, I just followed a simple 3x5 scheme 3x/week to catch up again... Just alternating the following sessions (adding 5lbs in the next session):

T1
Squats 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Row 3x5

T2
Deadlifts 1x5
Press 3x5
Chin up 3x5

After a few weeks, when progression didn`t work well I was doing the 3 sets as "ramp to topset" and after "stalling" with these 1x5 worksets and linear progression I returned to my "regular" programme...

When training "only" 4x/week... perhaps a more simple push/pull or upper/lower split would be a better choice? Concerning your plan I would recommend to keep the 3x5 (or 5x5) scheme for Bench Press and Military Press (Push), Rack pulls and Chins (Pull) and Squat (Legs) and try 3x8-12 for the other excercises (and when adding biceps (pull day) and triceps (push day) 2x12-15 could be enough)...

About the rack pulls... Rack pull easier than conventional deadlift? So you can use more weight? Doesn`t this increase the risk for injury? I don`t know...
Barbell Row after Rack pull (or Deadlift) could be taxing for your lower back... if so... try one-arm dumbbell rows, cable rows, t-bar rows or other variations without much involvement of the lower back.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:20 pm 
Novice
Novice

Sorry for late post but just thought I would update.

I just went for it and did this program and been doing it for a little more than a month now. This has been ridiculous. Strength is back! I guess I would have made crazy progress with any program tho since I was just getting my gains back (Muscle memory and all that) but I'm really happy and gonna keep doing this.

Just benched 95kg 3x5 (Was 75kg 3x5 when I started like I said in first post). Squat is up to 125kg3x5 and I have gained my 10kg's back. Feel great and having great workouts. There are probably many flaws with the program but its working. Not gonna try to fix it untill I feel its broken.

To be fair tho I have not done the program 100% like I wrote it up. When I felt i needes lighter days I did lighter days and sometimes I changed the reps/exersices. I just kept it push/pull/legs and tried to go heavy on the big compounds always.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:57 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ease into it with 2 or 3 days per week starting with 8-10 reps. Your ability to recover is probably lower since you've been away so long.