ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:12 am 
n00b
n00b

I have just started a fitness program for about 2 weeks and I have organized my body muscles into two schedules. It looks like this:

Schedule 1 (each exercise - 15 reps, exception are the abs where I do 30 reps for each exercise)

- Chest (modified pushups, push ups, dumbbell press, dumbbell flys) - 3 sets

- Shoulders (backstroke, flies with weights, floating arms with weights, arm circles with weights, dumbbell shoulder press, upright row, shoulder abduction, shoulder extension, deltoid lifts) - 2 sets

- Triceps (triceps dip, supine shoulder press, dumbbell shoulder press, triceps standing, supine triceps) - 3 sets

- Abs (curl up, double knee fold, curl up with knee fold, advanced roll backs, oblique, reclined sit up, roll backs, reverse abdominal crunch) - 1 set

Schedule 2 (the same, each exercise 15 reps, exception the abs with 30 reps)

- Back (single shoulder lift, advanced back extensions, upper body lift, advanced upper body lift, breastroke swim) - 2 sets

- Legs (hamstring curl, hip abduction, prone lef lift, standing calf raises, squats, dumbbell lunges) - 3 sets

- Biceps and Forearms (biceps curl lying, biceps curl standing, concentration curls, hammer curls, wrist extension) - 3 sets

- Abs (curl up, double knee fold, curl up with knee fold, advanced roll backs, oblique, reclined sit up, roll backs, reverse abdominal crunch) - 1 set

I do these schedules alternatively three times a week. For example in one week I would have Monday (Schedule 1), Wednesday (Schedule 2), Friday (Schedule 1), then next week on Monday (Schedule 2), Wednesday (Schedule 1), Friday (Schedule 2) and so on.

The problem I am getting is that I am losing strenght. For example before I started this workout program I was able to do about 30 push-ups, but now I can hardly do 15. Even today I tried to do some and after only 5 I felt my muscles starting to tremble and losing power and strength.

Why has this effect appeared is it something that usually happens when you only begin a workout programme (and then gradually disappears) or am I doing something wrong ? I must mention that before each exercise I have about 20 minutes of stretching and that the whole program usually lasts about 1h and 30 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:21 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Assuming your healthy, you may be overtraining. Also, make sure your getting enough of the right kinds of foods including lots of protien, and take a multi vitamin if you don't already. You can also consider protien supplements like whey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:25 am 

PS.) Out of curriosity, why 15 reps for most exercises? Are you training mainly for endurance and/or strength endurance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:36 am 

By the way, the reason I said "Assuming your healthy" is that something like mono or lymes disease can really wipe you out. I had mono durring my sophomore year of college and initially got a false negative when I got tested. As a result, I trained on and off for weeks when I should have been resting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:07 pm 
n00b
n00b

Matt thanks for the tips.

Yes I am pretty healthy although I'm not sure if I do actually get enough proteins and vitamins. I am doing 15 reps as I also want to do a bit of workout for the flexibility and tone of my muscles and not only for strenght and power (I think I read this somewhere, is it true that 15 reps vs 12 reps has this kind of effect?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:27 pm 

1 gram of protien per pound of bodyweight is generally accepted as a good minimum.

Meanwhile, toneing is really just building muscle while losing bodyfat. You can add a little muscle or a lot, depending on your goals, but either way you don't need to limit yourself to high reps.

Finally flexability is best developed through various streching exercises. As long as you stretch regularly, you should be able to achieve/maintain a high level of flexibility reguardless of how strong/musclular you become.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:32 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

That 15 vs 12 is absolutely untrue. "Toning" is simply making that muscle stronger, along with losing any surrounding fat, to make it more visible. It can be done with almost any rep range.Stay here on the site and go to the weight training section. Then look up the articles "Toning" and "Fat Loss Myths" from the menu on the right hand margin .
As to your program, you're doing 3 sets each of 5 different eercises for the chest alone. Way too much. Then go and do a marathon on the rest of our bodyparts. The body grows (and in your case-tones) when it is at rest after a workout. My advice, keep your split, it's fine, but limit your exercises to2-3 per group, 2-3 sets with a basic entry level rep schem, being 8-12 or 15. You can always use the exercises you left out in your first session of Sched 1 the next time you are up for a sched 1
By 8-12 I mean the weight has to be heavy enough so that you can get 8 reps, but not 12 or 15 (the end of this really doesn't matter that much), and you work toward that goal. Once you reach it, you put weight on the bar and start over with 8 reps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

You are seriously overtraining, that is way too much.