Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on my workout?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:33 am 
n00b
n00b

Hey guys,

I recently found this site and after reading a bit I came up with a workout. Just wanted to get your thoughts on it.

Background
21 years old
male
around 70 kgs
175 cm

Workout
Warm up set: 50% of workout weight (14 reps)
Two Workout sets: Max weight (6 - 12 reps)
If 12 reps achieved in set one: Increase workout weight 5-10% in next workout

Day 1 - Legs
Squat
Leg Press
Deadlift
Seated Calf Raise

Day 2 - Pull
Lever Lat Pulldown
BB Bent-over Row
Ezy-bar Upright Row
DB Shrug

Day 3 - Push
Bench Press
DB Seated Shoulder Press
Close-grip Bench Press

- I plan to do this in a continuous cycle and I may take a day off here and there.
- I made a chart that I take to the gym to record the max weight and the number of reps in both sets that I've lifted.
- I use figure 8 straps for pull movements as my forearms restrict me from going heavier.
- I run to the gym (500m) and I do a bit of stretching and foam rolling before my workout targeting the muscles that I am training.
- Should I throw in some core work like ropes/spider man crawls/farmers walk/plank/leg raise/decline crunches/cable obliques OR do the exercises in my workout take care of it?
- I eat a lot and I eat clean but I do have a little bit of fat around my stomach so should I throw in some HIIT at the end of Day 3 - Push?
- My goal is to put on strength whilst I would like muscle mass, abs, overall fitness, etc as well but at this point in time I want to focus on putting on strength.
- General thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:07 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

rohan wrote:
- I plan to do this in a continuous cycle and I may take a day off here and there.

That scheme works for beginners. But most of the early gains in strength by beginners is the result of neurological adaptation rather than muscular gains. Once the adaptation phase to weight training ends - and it will do so fairly quickly - you need to allow sufficient time for recovery between workouts in order for real muscular growth to take place.

Your routine is a good one - for an intermediate or advanced lifter, who follows it on non-consecutive days. But not for a beginner looking to add muscle mass.

A full body routine done three times a week or an upper/lower routine done four days a week (two upper and two lower) are better choices for a training routine.

Also, at 175 cm and 70 kg (5'9" and 154 lbs) you'll have to work with your diet if you want to get bigger without getting fatter. Avoiding junk carbs (refined flour and refined grain products) and eating meats and veggies is the basic strategy.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:39 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks Stephen!

I tried the upper/lower routine a few weeks ago and I found that I was too fatigued after the first few exercises to be able to push the weight on the upper day hence I split that into pull/push/legs. I wasn't however following the low-volume principle.

I will try out the full body routine. Do you have any suggestions for sustaining my energy levels after the first few exercises? Also, how long would I have to follow the full body routine?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:18 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Sustaining Energy: Eat more, sleep more, mobility/stretching/recovery drills in between days.
How Long? As long as it continues to work for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:41 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

rohan wrote:
Thanks Stephen!

I tried the upper/lower routine a few weeks ago and I found that I was too fatigued after the first few exercises to be able to push the weight on the upper day hence I split that into pull/push/legs. I wasn't however following the low-volume principle.

I will try out the full body routine. Do you have any suggestions for sustaining my energy levels after the first few exercises? Also, how long would I have to follow the full body routine?

Perhaps you should try an established beginners routine like Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5 or something similar... start light and easy and work up to higher weights und build up a working capacity... If you can`t sustain you energy levels after the first exercises you are perhaps doing too much or not resting enough during your workout (or between workouts like jlmoss wrote).

For example... you could do the following two workouts alternating on three days a week with at least a day rest between them (ABA, BAB, ABA on Mo., Wed. and Fr. for example)

A
Squats 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Row 3x5

B
Deadlift 1x5
Press 3x5
Chin up 3x5

The 3x5 (or 1x5) are the working sets and you do some warm-up sets before. Start really low and try to add weight each workout, as long as your form is good. For example 5 - 10 lbs for Deadlifts and Squats, 2.5 - 5lbs for the other excercises. Add some assistance exercises (worksets 2 - 3 x 10) later after you get used to the workouts.

If you like to keep your push/pull/legs setup, I would suggest the following basic approach (chose one of the mentioned exercises):

Day One – Pull

Deadlifts (conventional, sumo, snatch-grip,trap bar) – 5 sets x 5 reps
Rows (barbell, dumbbell, machine or t-bar) – 5 sets x 5 reps
Weighted Pull-Ups or Chins – 5 sets x 5 reps

Day Two – Push

Flat, Incline, Dumbbell, or Machine Bench Press – 5 sets x5 reps
Military, Dumbbell or Machine Shoulder Press – 5 sets x 5 reps
Dips or Close-Grip Bench Press – 5 sets x 5 reps

Day Three – Legs

Back or Front Squats or Leg Press – 4 sets x 6 – 10 reps
Lunges, Split Squat, or Step-Ups – 4 sets x 6 – 10 reps
Calf Raises – 3 sets x 6 – 10 reps

You could train 3 - 4 times a week, always at least one day rest between training days.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:35 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for all the advice guys, appreciate it!

So I have decided to follow the full body routine. I will eat/sleep/rest/etc enough to ensure that I've got energy for the whole workout.

Workout
Warm up set: 50% of workout weight (15 reps)
Workout set one: Max weight (5 reps)
Workout set two: Max Weight (5+ reps)
_____If 10 reps achieved in set two: Increase workout weight 5-10% in next workout

Squat
Bench Press
Deadlift
Standing Shoulder Press
Ezy Bar Rows

1 or 2 days off depending on how I feel.

Questions
- The full body workout templates on this main site says that I need to train abs (sit-ups, leg raises) as well. Thoughts? exrx - /Workouts/Workout1LTA.html
- The low volume training article on the main site says that the workout set rep range is between 8-12 however I have decided to do two workout sets (max weight). 5 reps in set one and 5+ in set two. My goal is strength. Thoughts? exrx - /WeightTraining/LowVolumeTraining.html
- One of the stickies on this forum says to do Chin Ups as well. For some reason I always thought that upper-back is more important than mid-back hence I focused on pull-ups/lat pulldowns. Would the exercises above be enough for my back or do I need to throw in chin ups as well? If so, should it be weighted chin ups? exrx - /forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8905
- Finally, in what order should I do these exercises and why?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I'am just trying to get some clarity. Thank you for your patience.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:45 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

rohan wrote:
- The full body workout templates on this main site says that I need to train abs (sit-ups, leg raises) as well. Thoughts? exrx - /Workouts/Workout1LTA.html

You need to stabilize your abs and back with every exercise you do (especially Squats and Deadlifts). For this reason most beginner programmes don`t list extra exercises for abs. It won`t hurt though...

Quote:
- The low volume training article on the main site says that the workout set rep range is between 8-12 however I have decided to do two workout sets (max weight). 5 reps in set one and 5+ in set two. My goal is strength. Thoughts? exrx - /WeightTraining/LowVolumeTraining.html

Everythings works for a beginner... and everything works for sometime for everyone... You will get stronger doing 1 workset of 8 - 12 reps. Doing 3x5 will emphasize strength a bit more. (But don`t do a mix or something else you come up with at the moment.) Most important is to learn good form doing the lifts and the less fatigued you are in a working set, the less risk that your form breaks. At the beginning you really want to do "many" good reps with each excercise for learning the movement. And remember... you are not going to be stronger from lifting heavy weights (with good form), but from recovering from lifting heavy weights!

Quote:
- One of the stickies on this forum says to do Chin Ups as well. For some reason I always thought that upper-back is more important than mid-back hence I focused on pull-ups/lat pulldowns. Would the exercises above be enough for my back or do I need to throw in chin ups as well? If so, should it be weighted chin ups? exrx - /forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8905

Chin ups, Pull ups or the lat pulldown are all vertical pulls and thus mostly the same for that matter. This movement complements the vertical push from doing Press. I would say... at the moment it doesn`t matter which one you do.

Quote:
- Finally, in what order should I do these exercises and why?

When doing a fullbody workout like this (everything on one day, two to three times a week - as I stated above... don`t do too much in the beginning.) I would recommend the following:

Squats 2-3 x 8
Bench Press 2-3 x 8
Row 2-3 x 8
Deadlift 1-2 x 8
Press 2-3 x 8
Chin up 2-3 x 8 (or lat pulldown)

Normally you would train large before small muscle (-groups) and compound before isolation exercises. But in this case, training Squats and Deadlifts in the beginning and in a row could be to much, so I would put two exercises in between.

Last edited by Crow on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:09 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@rohan:

I have to go with the idea of a beginner using an established program (like Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5) rather than roll his own routine. For trainers that are starting out, simple is better. Once you get past the beginner phase, you'll have plenty of time to tinker routines to fit your individual needs.

Many people (especially beginners) have a tendency to overthink their workouts,and are constantly changing workouts in the hope of finding the "perfect" routine. The end result is that they never stick long enough with any routine to see real results.

Just be a little patient (and disciplined) in your training, and you will see results.

Good luck, and happy training

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:11 am 
n00b
n00b

Sounds good! Thanks a lot for your advice guys, really appreciate it. I've got a lot more clarity now. I will post an update soon!