ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pain in Achilles Area
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:18 pm 
former lurker

Hello! I am long overdue to get my Achilles pain checked out by a professional, so I would like to describe what is going on to a) get a suggestion on what type of referral I should ask my doc for and b) while I know internet diagnosis is a futile effort, I'd love to see if any of you have similar experience and if so, what type of treatment(s) may have worked.

I did 3 marathons several years ago and stopped running almost 3 years ago as I got burnt out on it and would always have various aches and pains, including heel/foot/Achilles issues, but they went away when I stopped doing long distance running. I started CrossFit and love it and it's been a much better fit for me.

Anyway, about a year ago, I made the boneheaded decision to run a 10 miler after not running that much cumulatively in the previous year. My fitness level was strong so I felt great during the run but clearly was not in 'running shape,' so the next morning I could hardly walk due to Achilles pain.

Over the next 5 or 6 months, I didn't run, jump, jump rope or do other activities that I thought would aggravate it... the pain went away, but has never healed totally as I have 'tweaked' it regularly since then.

Pain will come and go for literally months at a time... now it's back after some recent workouts. The stuff that I think re-injured it or never let it properly heal include things like as high rep double-unders (jumproping), heavy lifts like cleans where I'm going up on my toes, sprinting, etc. I am staying away from that now that this has flared up again.

Right now, I can stand on the balls of my feet, I can pull my foot toward me (toes up toward my knee), I can lift my body easily with the balls of my feet... I also get a lot of popping in my ankle.

What is strange to m is that now when I experience the most pain, it's with passive movement where there is no tension. For example, when driving, on occasion, i'll pivot my foot (on my heel) from the accelerator over to the brake, and BAM... the pain hits. It's unexpected movement that gets me. Sometimes I'll bend my knees while standing and again, when there is no tension, and the ankle is flexed in that direction, pain hits. However, I can do the same movement and when I am "ready for it" there is no pain.

Any ideas? Clearly I never let it heal properly and keep re-injuring it... I am just curious if y'all have experienced anything like this and have any insight.

More importantly I suppose, what should I look for as I contact someone to check it out? (go to a PT first? an Orthopedic?)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:31 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I would assume that it's like any soft tissue pain... Whenever I do soemthing stupid in the gym and aggrivate my left anterior shoulder or another area, my tennis elbow I blast either area with light weight/high rep exercises.

Tennis elbow, I'll usually hell sets of bent over dumbbell rows. Set of 60 lb X 5, one arm at a time, then 60lbX10, then right after 60lbX15... continue making 5lb increments until reaching 60lbx50. Something similar for the shoulders.

I'd imagine you could do something like that with some calf exercises.

Obviously I'm not a doctor, so don't take my advice as medical advice. You should see a doctor for that.