ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:48 pm 
n00b
n00b

Me and the wife have amassed a kettlebell collection at her request (we compromised as she didn't want a bench/bar/plates taking up so much room in our smaller townhouse) and for the most part, I'm pretty satisfied with it. You see, on exercises where I need a little more weight (so far our highest weighted kettlebell set is 62 lbs), I bought some chains where I basically chain two together and do a lift when it can be appropriate like one armed rows for instance so I don't need to rush out and buy a new set every month or so, as they get expensive. Basically I'm good to go with upper body in this regard, but even with this workaround, I still only get a little over 200 lb deadlifts in. I have heard of programs revolving around 20 rep deads and squats and was sort of wondering - is there any benefit to strength/size to this rep range, or is it merely just endurance after that, as is the common wisdom I always hear from lifters? Is there are way to do lifts when you have maxed out your current poundage that would maximize the benefit from the lower amount of weight (for instance, perform the lifting phase quicker, pausing in the middle of a rep for a couple of secs, or whatever)?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:38 pm 

In Return of the Kettlebell, Pavel claims that lighter weight kettlebell deadlifts for about 20 reps will build size. Try it with your 2 largest bells. They don't have to be equal in size. You would recover quick from these so 2 or 3 times a week would be good. I would still try to get in a heavy workout once a month or so.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:34 am 
n00b
n00b

Do you think wearing a backpack with weights/weight vest//dip belt is a smart way to add weight to the deadlift in this circumstance, or just make the lift too awkward to perform? I have a dip belt, but was thinking of buying a weighted vest for increasing push up weight in the future...just curious...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:27 am 

It probably wouldn't hurt. I doubt you can add enough weight to make it the equivelant to a normal barbell lift.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley