ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:57 pm 
n00b
n00b

40 year old male. 5'1". 210 lbs. Loooong history of being really overweight. Lost over 125 lbs. several years ago using cardio 3 x week and low volume, full body resistance training 2 x week. Was in pretty good shape for a while (around 175 lbs. with fair muscle definition). Fell of the wagon for about 2 years, gained about 50 lbs. back, then slowly and falteringly got back on the wagon and have lost around 10 lbs. over the past year. No movement restrictions other than typical tight muscles. Endomorphic.

Goals are to: 1. lose fat while gaining muscle (i.e., not too concerned with actual weight, more interested in positively changing body composition), 2. increase activation and strength of very subpar pectoral muscles, and 3. increase activation and strength of very subpar gluteal muscles, and 3. get SWOLE!

This is my current routine with current weights. Usually takes me about 45 minutes to complete. I warm-up with 5-7 minutes walking on treadmill, and for each exercise, lift until I feel like the next rep on my last workout set would be messy. At my disposal I have a Body Solid G9S home gym and dumbbells ranging from 5 lbs. to 35 lbs.

Monday (heavy push/light pull - legs and arms):

Activate gluteus medius with 15 Clams each side
Seated Leg Press - warm-up set, 15 reps: 200 lbs., 1 x workout set, 6-8 reps: 400 lbs.
Goblet Squat - warm-up set, 15 reps: bodyweight, 1 x workout set, 6-8 reps: 35 lbs.
Cable Pull-through - warm-up set, 15 reps: 10 lbs., 2 x workout sets, 8-12 reps: 30 lbs.
Dumbbell Deadlift - warm-up set, 15 reps: 10 lbs., 2 x workout sets, 8-12 reps: 30 lbs.

Tricep Push-down - warm-up set, 15 reps: 20 lbs., 1 x workout set, 6-8 reps: 40 lbs.
Cable Curl - warm-up set, 15 reps: 10 lbs., 2 x workout sets, 8-12 reps: 30 lbs.

Ball Crunch - 2 x 10 reps

Tuesday (heavy push/light pull - torso):

Activate serratus anterior with 15 Wall Slides
Chest Press - warm-up set, 15 reps: 40 lbs., 1 x workout set, 6-8 reps: 80 lbs.
Incline Dumbbell Press - warm-up set, 15 reps: 30 lbs., 1 x workout set, 6-8 reps: 60 lbs.
Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press - warm-up set, 15 reps: 20 lbs., 1 x workout set, 6-8 reps: 40 lbs.

Activate rhomboids/middle and lower trapezius with 15 Exercise Band Standing Ys and Ws
Straight Back Seated Cable Row - warm-up set, 15 reps: 50 lbs., 2 x workout sets, 8-12 reps: 100 lbs.
Pull-down - warm-up set, 15 reps: 40 lbs., 2 x workout sets, 8-12 reps: 80 lbs.
Cable Upright Row - warm-up set, 15 reps: 20 lbs., 2 x workout sets, 8-12 reps: 40 lbs.

Cable Oblique Crunches - 2 x 10 reps

Thursday (heavy pull/light push - legs and arms):

Activate gluteus medius with 15 Clams each side
Cable Pull-through - warm-up set, 15 reps: 20 lbs., 1 x workout set, 6-8 reps: 40 lbs.
Dumbbell Deadlift - warm-up set, 15 reps: 20 lbs., 1 x workout set, 6-8 reps: 50 lbs.
Seated Leg Press - warm-up set, 15 reps: 180 lbs., 2 x workout sets, 8-12 reps: 380 lbs.
Goblet Squat - warm-up set, 15 reps: bodyweight, 2 x workout sets, 8-12 reps: 25 lbs.

Cable Curl - warm-up set, 15 reps: 20 lbs., 1 x workout set, 6-8 reps: 40 lbs.
Tricep Push-down - warm-up set, 15 reps: 10 lbs., 2 x workout sets, 8-12 reps: 30 lbs.

Ball Crunch - 2 x 10 reps

Friday (heavy pull/light push- torso):

Activate rhomboids/middle and lower trapezius with 15 Exercise Band Standing Ys and Ws
Straight Back Seated Cable Row - warm-up set, 15 reps: 60 lbs., 1 x workout set, 6-8 reps: 120 lbs.
Pull-down - warm-up set, 15 reps: 50 lbs., 1 x workout set, 6-8 reps: 90 lbs.
Cable Upright Row - warm-up set, 15 reps: 30 lbs., 1 x workout set, 6-8 reps: 60 lbs.

Activate serratus anterior with 15 Wall Slides
Chest Press - warm-up set, 15 reps: 30 lbs., 2 x workout sets, 8-12 reps: 70 lbs.
Incline Dumbbell Press - warm-up set, 15 reps: 10 lbs., 2 x workout sets, 8-12 reps: 20 lbs.
Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press - warm-up set, 15 reps: 10 lbs., 2 x workout sets, 8-12 reps: 20 lbs.

Cable Oblique Crunches - 2 x 10 reps

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:11 pm 

If anything, you need to continue losing weight.

Focus on improving the quality of your diet. This will make it easier to satisfy your appetite while losing weight. Keep protein relatively high. This will protect your muscle. For exercise, get some resistance training about 3 times a week and include about an hour of walking the other days.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:31 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks.

I'll clarify. As part of a total body health strategy, the above is what I plan to do for resistance training. Any feedback on the actual workouts themselves (in light of my goals) would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:43 pm 
n00b
n00b

Where did you get that routine from?
IMO that routine is light on weight and light on volume, so I don't know why it takes 45 minutes unless your rest periods are long. If you want to lose weight you should probably work on reducing rest times and keeping your heart rate high.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:03 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks! This is helpful feedback.

The workout was created following the guidelines for a two day split torso/legs and arms found here in exrx's beginner workout templates. I modified it a bit to incorporate light and heavy days as shown in the section on light/heavy training.

The volume is definitely low because I am persuaded by the research that more than two or three sets only provide marginal gains. The weight may be low (it probably is), but I think I followed the guideline for determining proper resistance for myself properly. I should/could push myself harder, but right now this is the ballpark I'm in. I'll try to up it some. The most problematic area for me is the chest where I have a hard time contracting and working the pecs rather than the arms and shoulders, so that weight is lower until I can get my CNS firing properly. Any tips on that particular issue would be greatly appreciated as well!

The biggest question that I have now is speed of workout execution. I agree that I should focus on keeping my heart rate high. I don't think I take very long rests between sets, but maybe it would be helpful to time myself. And, extrapolating from your comments, I assume that you would recommend adding sets if I shortened the rest time and it turned out that I was then working out for less than 30 minutes. This is something to mull over...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:42 am 
n00b
n00b

The important thing is to get started, which I hope you have already. You can adjust the weight accordingly based on your feeling. Yes there are diminishing returns for extra volume in terms of gains, but you will always burn more calories.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:50 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ cliftonmueller

You are "majoring in the minors" (to quote Wendler)... Using the "torso/legs and arms" split is appropiate, using light and heavy days now aren`t. (and you are doing many excercises for my liking)

Worrying too much about firing muscles right now is too much either (right now).

stuward wrote everything important essentially without going too much into detail... I guess he didn`t go into detail, because it doesn`t matter that much right now in your situation (besides the things he mentioned in detail concerning diet (protein), walking and resistance training 3x/week)

You could do a fullbody-programm 3x/week concentrating on the most important excercises:
Upper body: a horizontal push and a horizontal pull (Benchpress, Row)
Upper body: a vertical push and a vertikal pull (Overheadpress, Chin ups or Pull ups)
Lower body: a Squat-variation, a deadlift-variation (a "knee-dominant" and "hip-dominant" movement)

Something simple like alternating A: Squat, Benchpress, Row; and B: Deadlift, Press, Chin up could be enough. (Or as long as the weights are low, you could do all six excercises on all three days.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:49 am 
n00b
n00b

It's actually kinda funny because I used basically that type of routine (6 basic exercises, full body, 3 x week) when I lost all that weight a few years ago... I think you all are right. I'm going to re-simplify, i.e., stick to the basics, keep my heart rate higher during my workouts, and continue with my good diet. (I completely understood stuward's post and why he posted it. I really was just looking for feedback on the routine. I already have a good quality diet. I guess I could have mentioned that in my initial post, but I thought it was clear what I was looking for.)

Thanks everybody!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:27 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you like to train more than 3x/week a 2-day-split is fine, but I would rather recommend an upper/lower-split compared to push/pull or torso/arms and legs as long as you train two days in a row. And it wouldn`t be a problem to do prehab-stuff or one or two isolation excercises for biceps/triceps, as long as your focus (and progress) stays on the main excercises.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:49 pm 

@cliftonmueller:

The routine doesn't look bad, but machines are machines.

i researched your home gym on google and my recommendation is to sell it and invest in a barbell. a barbell gives you more benefit with the exercises, which crow mentioned, than all the machine exercises.