ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:56 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Hi guys, very long time no see.

To make a long story short, I need to find an isolation (or at least emphasizing) unilateral exercise for the vastus lateralis. My v.l. is pretty much underdeveloped on one side, and the imbalance between my vastus lateralis and vastus medialus is causing my knee cap to track inward and cause some instability. So, I need to fix that.

I think I need unlilateral exercises because it's fine on the other leg, and it's extremely hard to avoid favoring the stronger, balanced leg in bilateral exercises.

What I have so far is:

- band resisted leg extensions
- cable knee extensions
- single leg leg press (not that I have a leg press) with the toes pointed in

Anything else that I could use to emphasis the v.l. so I can strengthen it back up? Things I could do without a lot of equipment is good, because I train at home or in a bare-bones gym.

Thanks in advance for the help.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:53 pm 
Novice
Novice

hard to find a unilateral exercise specific for the quad sweep. I made the experience that the vastus lateralis responds (if) only to bilateral exercises like low bar squats and legpresses.

A friend of me told me once that side lunges target this area well. I have tried them but they are a weird exercise, maybe it works for you.
If you find other exercises, i would be pleased if you post them. the vastus lateralis has always been a difficult musclepart for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:46 am 

Thanks for the answer.

Why low bar on the squats for the v.i.?

Side lunges are an issue, because they take stability I don't have yet thanks to the imbalance I'm hoping to correct.

If I find something that works, I'll post about it for sure. For now, I'm doing very close stance squats, but it's hard to ensure I'm not favoring the stronger leg.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:37 pm 

I found this helpful:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/bulk- ... s-and-tris

It mirrors what I've been trying already - close stance squatting - and gives me a nice idea when/if I get my hands on a leg extension.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:17 am 

Hi Pete,

Good to see you again. Have you tried just simply putting a miniband round your knees when you squat? My girlfriend had a problem with one of her knees tracking in when she squatted, the band round the knees made a big difference.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:48 am 
Novice
Novice

pdellorto wrote:
Why low bar on the squats for the v.i.?

i have no explanation. when i try to sit back and dont lock out at the top (keep Time under Tension) its for me one of the best movements to feel the outside of the quad.
Thanks for the link. I already tried close stance squatting, they just go straight into my medialis . manipulating feet position doesnt help either :/.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:36 pm 

Proper Knob wrote:
Have you tried just simply putting a miniband round your knees when you squat? My girlfriend had a problem with one of her knees tracking in when she squatted, the band round the knees made a big difference.

I've tried that, but I always end up with an aching knee afterward.

I think this is because it's not that I'm not pushing out with my knees, but that the imbalance is causing the knee to track incorrectly. The band helps me get my hips driving out and my knees driving out against resistance, but doesn't do that much for the relative strength of the muscles around the knees.

I can squat close very easily, but when I did back squats I always felt most comfortable out wide. Yet these days if I stand in front of a mirror (or my therapist) and do a simple knee to chest, the left tracks like a "|" and the right inscribes an inward ")".

I've been doing some bodyweight very close stance squats and they feel good. Occasional the V.M. tightens up after and I foam roll that out. I'll start slowly adding weight if they continue to work okay. Still, I think I need a single leg exercise I can add on as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:50 pm 

I figured I'd add an update.

I've been using:

Single-leg band-resisted leg extensions (toe pointed in as I come to the top)
Close stance squats (3 sets of 10-12 per day, feet about 1" apart, toes forward)
Close-stance kettlebell cleans (feet shoulder width apart)

These seem to be working. My knee is responding well, my v.l. is catching up on one side to the v.l. on the other.

And I now have access to an actual leg extension, so I can use that to supplement the lifting as well.