ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:12 pm 
n00b
n00b

hello i been reading and studying this site for awhile now for exercise/anatomy information. I have been exercising for about 3 years.

Not trying to make this long but i am basically trying to restore my scapular health and optimal function with my trapezius, and surrounding "scapular muscles" eg. infraspinatus, teres minor, serratus anterior ect. in their regards to external rotation and healthy upward rotation balance. Now to the real question of this topic, In reading this article i came across from another site discussing upward and downward rotation it says that normal dumbbell/barbell shrugs heavily work the upper traps of course but also the 2 downward rotators the levator scapulae and rhomboids, but on this site the exercise description it only says upper trap is target and synergists levetor scapulae mid trap and not rhomboids? sooo...what i'd like to know from different perspectives is, is it involved or not?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:29 am 

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Trapezi ... Shrug.html

From this page:http://exrx.net/Notes/Notes.html

Quote:
Stabilizer muscles may not be noted if:
muscle is used for hand grip or standing
This decision was made to avoid listing muscle groups used in most exercises.
muscle is not intensely utilized during exercise

Rhomboids are worked in every back exercise, however less so in upright shrugs. If you want to specifically engage your rhomboids, (and you should) chose something from the General back page, something like this: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGen ... ngRow.html.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:24 pm 
n00b
n00b

really that i did not know, even tho i tried to read alot about the subject. I thought they were more or only used during retraction, like rows where the shoulder blades get drawn together. No that is not my current goal. there is a bigger story to it but i attempted to strengthen and improve my rhomboids for last 2-3 yrs and succeeded along with middle trapezius also. For now i do not wish to directly work and stimulate my rhomboids. I am trying to improve upon the upward rotation muscles and not the downward rotation ones.

So they are stimulated during normal shrugs but only a little bit while the upper portion of trapezius works the most? thats good enough for me. hmmmm i was kinda hoping people would give me more perspective on their views on this and such...