ExRx.net
http://exrx.net/forum/

Having good endurance and power- minimal hypertrophy?
http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9890
Page 1 of 1

Author:  mattsouth [ Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Having good endurance and power- minimal hypertrophy?

I am curious what you guys think about this the possibility of doing this? I'm definitely not overly muscular - but I am 6 ft and 245 lbs and want to get down to about 200 lbs, with primarily fat loss of course, but still retain a decent amount of strength, endurance, and power overall. The thing I do NOT want to be doing is lifting minimal weights for high reps, as I find it boring and pointless (and from what I have read, its really not that effective anyhow for this). Someone like a fighter who might not be the strongest person in the room but has a good combination of all three goals.

I figure it would require training such as plyometrics, circuit training with decent amounts of weight, short distance but intense cardio (sprints up to one milers as examples), martial art type workouts (punching and kicking a bag), and perhaps other workouts I'm missing out on?

What do you think?

Author:  Kenny Croxdale [ Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Having good endurance and power- minimal hypertrophy?

mattsouth wrote:
I am curious what you guys think about this the possibility of doing this? I'm definitely not overly muscular - but I am 6 ft and 245 lbs and want to get down to about 200 lbs, with primarily fat loss of course,


Diet

As you know, the biggest key to weight loss is your diet.

You need to decrease you caloric intake by 20%.

That means you first need to calculate how many calories you consume in a day.

Three Day Recall

This means counting your calories for three days, then finding the average.

One of the three days need to be a weekend. That because your diet changes on the weekend.

Quote:
but still retain a decent amount of strength, endurance, and power overall.


Decreases In Strength and Power

Decreases in strength and power are going to occur in a weight loss program.

However, once you hit you target weight and stabilize, you strength and power will come back up.

Quote:
The thing I do NOT want to be doing is lifting minimal weights for high reps, as I find it boring and pointless (and from what I have read, its really not that effective anyhow for this).


Hypertrophy Training

Preforming higher reps for hypertrophy is anything but pointless.

Research shows that including high rep hypertrophy training increases Limit Strength (1 Repetition Max) and Power.

There are various method of accomplishing this. One method is to finish your training program with a few high repetition sets of an exercise.

Quote:
I figure it would require training such as plyometrics, circuit training with decent amounts of weight, short distance but intense cardio (sprints up to one milers as examples), martial art type workouts (punching and kicking a bag), and perhaps other workouts


"...I do NOT want to be doing is lifting minimal weights for high reps..."

Circuit Training is "lifting minimal weights for high reps". So, this is a contradictory to your previous statement above.

Also, Hypertrophy Training falls somewhat into the area of Circuit Training.

Hypertrophy Training involves high repetitions (8 to 30 reps per set or more) and short rest periods (30-60 seconds).

This type of training builds as well as preserves muscle mass during weight loss.

Kenny Croxdale

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/