ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:20 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hello,

I'd like to know if you think that deadlifts are better done (for hypertrophy and strength) on leg day (doing squats too) or if, given that they're both heavy compound exercises, they'd be better put into pull day (along with pull ups and bent-over rows, which can be hard but not as heavy as deadlifts or squats).

Is a 3 sets 7-8 reps reasonable?

Thank you :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:23 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Did you read this thread?
http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9983

The sets/reps you mentioned can be o. k., but this shouldn`t be answered in a vacuum... What does your whole training/programme look like? (Days, excercises, sets, reps...)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:53 pm 
n00b
n00b

Crow wrote:

The sets/reps you mentioned can be o. k., but this shouldn`t be answered in a vacuum... What does your whole training/programme look like? (Days, excercises, sets, reps...)

Yes I've read it, however I didn't understand some reasons on including it on leg day rather than pull day.
I'm doing a push and a pull day, each once a week.

On push day I do squats, military press, lateral raises and chest dips, on pull day I do deadlifts, bent-over rows, pull ups and bicep curls.
Each exercise is about 3 sets and 10-8 reps.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:51 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

alfredo wrote:
Crow wrote:

Yes I've read it, however I didn't understand some reasons on including it on leg day rather than pull day.
I'm doing a push and a pull day, each once a week.

On push day I do squats, military press, lateral raises and chest dips, on pull day I do deadlifts, bent-over rows, pull ups and bicep curls.
Each exercise is about 3 sets and 10-8 reps.

Perhaps Kenny will explain it here a little more, so you understand the reasoning. As I recall he argued that many deadlift-variations focus on glutes and hamstrings rather than the muscles of the back. So putting it into a leg-day is easy to understand.

In a Push/Pull-Split I would put the deadlift into pull-day it like you wrote it. But I know some coaches look at the deadlift like "a different kind of leg press" because you press your legs into the ground. Only you got the weight in your hands instead of pushing a sled or something else away from you. Ed Coan describes the movement of the deadlift as "a push-pull". At first you push the legs into the ground and then you pull to straighten your hips (which would be, again, mostly legs and glutes).

My personal take on the question (without a certain goal in mind) would be:
Push/Pull -> deadlift (DL) on pull-day
Push/Pull/Leg -> DL on pull-day
Upper/Lower -> DL on Lower
Torso/Extremities -> DL on Extremities
Bodybuilding-split -> DL on Leg-day (or late on back-day)
... if talking about dl-variations like SLDL or RDL -> always legs (or pull or extremities).

About your plan... Although I did sets of ten on the deadlift with 5/3/1, I`d normally rather follow Dan Johns advice here to use the "rule of ten" with normal deadlifts... so I would train them more strength-orientated with higher intensity and lower volume... but as I said, it depends on the actual plan and goals, because a bodybuilder would train them probably differently and a beginner will also train differently than an advanced trainer...
I wouldn`t train bicep curls or lateral raises with the same sets/reps like deadlifts or squats for example. :wink:

Last but not least: With my individual proportions I felt conventional deadlifts more on my back and sumo-deadlifts on hips and legs. So this can play a role.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:00 pm 
n00b
n00b

Crow wrote:

Perhaps Kenny will explain it here a little more, so you understand the reasoning. As I recall he argued that many deadlift-variations focus on glutes and hamstrings rather than the muscles of the back. So putting it into a leg-day is easy to understand.

In a Push/Pull-Split I would put the deadlift into pull-day it like you wrote it. But I know some coaches look at the deadlift like "a different kind of leg press" because you press your legs into the ground. Only you got the weight in your hands instead of pushing a sled or something else away from you. Ed Coan describes the movement of the deadlift as "a push-pull". At first you push the legs into the ground and then you pull to straighten your hips (which would be, again, mostly legs and glutes).

My personal take on the question (without a certain goal in mind) would be:
Push/Pull -> deadlift (DL) on pull-day
Push/Pull/Leg -> DL on pull-day
Upper/Lower -> DL on Lower
Torso/Extremities -> DL on Extremities
Bodybuilding-split -> DL on Leg-day (or late on back-day)
... if talking about dl-variations like SLDL or RDL -> always legs (or pull or extremities).

About your plan... Although I did sets of ten on the deadlift with 5/3/1, I`d normally rather follow Dan Johns advice here to use the "rule of ten" with normal deadlifts... so I would train them more strength-orientated with higher intensity and lower volume... but as I said, it depends on the actual plan and goals, because a bodybuilder would train them probably differently and a beginner will also train differently than an advanced trainer...
I wouldn`t train bicep curls or lateral raises with the same sets/reps like deadlifts or squats for example. :wink:

Last but not least: With my individual proportions I felt conventional deadlifts more on my back and sumo-deadlifts on hips and legs. So this can play a role.

Nice info you shared with us!
Fordyce