ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:19 pm 
former lurker

Hello,

I'm wondering if there's any significant difference between using a slant board vs. a calf block for calf raises. I'm more inclined toward the slant board because I may have some slight neuromas (painful nerve clusters) in the ball of my foot and I'd rather not aggravate them. Making contact with the heel will take that continuous pressure off the ball.

However, the calf raise analyses on the site mention something about constant tension when the heel doesn't make contact, but doesn't really say if it's good or bad.... Basically it's too much science speak for me to understand. Is there a disadvantage to having the heel make contact after each rep?

Also, with the slant board, the ball is on an inclined surface, whereas with the block, it's on a flat surface. Does this also make any kind of significant difference to the exercise?

Thank you for the assistance.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:15 am 

> Is there a disadvantage to having the heel make contact after each rep?

This comes down to whether you think that constant tension is required for your training objectives. There is suggestion that continual tension improves the hypertrophy response but it doesn't seem to make much difference to strength adaptations. The bottom line is that you have a condition where doing it a particular way causes pain, don't do it that way.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley