ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:29 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi to everyone! :thumbleft: This is my first post.

Got 2 quick questions.

1) As I was going through the exercise database, I noticed that there are two barbell hyperextensions:

exrx DOT net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBHyperextension.html
exrx DOT net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBHyperextension.html

One page says that it targets the erector spinae, while the other page says that it targets the hamstrings. Which is correct?

2) Aren't these two pages displaying the same demo video despite being different exercises? The hyperextension should have flexion of the hip and waist, shouldn't it?

exrx DOT net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBHipExtension.html
exrx DOT net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBHyperextension.html

I appreciate the help. :headbang:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:43 pm 
n00b
n00b

Also, I am trying to understand the difference between these 3 exercises:

Back extension
Hyperextension
Back raise (aka hip extension)

Are the following correct?

In the back extension, articulation should mainly occur at the waist.
In the hyperextension, articulation should occur at both the hip and waist.
In the back raise (aka hip extension), articulation should mainly occur at the hip.

If those are true, aren't the demo videos used on both of the hyperextension pages wrong? They look like the back raise instead of the hyperextension.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:36 pm 

Hyperextention is listed twice because people us them to train different body parts. Both are correct.

The difference between back extension and hyper-extension is the range of motion. hyper-extension fully extends the back, while back extension stops when the back is parallel to the legs. Back raise and back extension are basically the same thing. You can do any of these involving flexing the back.

These are just my interpretations. I'm not involved with production of the site.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:17 am 
n00b
n00b

Thank you for the reply, but I am even more confused now! :lol:

stuward wrote:
Hyperextention is listed twice because people us them to train different body parts. Both are correct.

How can one exercise be said to target 2 different muscles? It can be said to target both muscles, but not one muscle on one page and another muscle on another page, if you know what I mean.

stuward wrote:
The difference between back extension and hyper-extension is the range of motion. hyper-extension fully extends the back, while back extension stops when the back is parallel to the legs.

According to the exercise descriptions, in the hyperextension, both the waist and hip are fully flexed and then fully extended, while in the back extension, only the waist is fully flexed and then fully extended.

I realise that to hyperextend means to extend fully, but maybe in this case hyperextension means to fully flex and extend both the hip and waist instead of just the waist.

stuward wrote:
Back raise and back extension are basically the same thing.

According to the exercise descriptions, in the back raise (aka hip extension), only the hip is fully flexed and then fully extended, while in the back extension, only the waist is fully flexed and then fully extended.

So confusing! :lol:

Wherever I look online, it says that the back extension and the hyperextension are the same thing except that the hyperextension involves hyperextending the back; however, the exercise descriptions on exrx state otherwise! :scratch:

I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter. :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:49 am 

If your goal is to train your lower back, you can use back extensions. If your goal is to train hamstrings, you can use back extensions. The fact is that that exercise works both body parts. It can be included in two sections. The directory is sorted by body parts, not by exercises, so this is actually done often. Look and see how many times deadlifts are listed.

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Erector ... nsion.html

Execution
Raise upper body until hips and waist are fully extended. Lower body by bending hips and waist until fully flexed. Repeat.

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Erector ... nsion.html

Execution
Lower body by bending waist until fully flexed. Raise or extend waist until torso is parallel to legs. Repeat.

See the difference? Fully extended vice parallel. Fully extended is hyperextending. Parallel is not. There's no inconsistency here except in the order of the two parts of the movement.

The waist vice hips part maybe isn't as consistent as it could be. If you bend at the waist, that generally involves the hips.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:49 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thank you for making it clearer! :smile:

stuward wrote:
The directory is sorted by body parts, not by exercises, so this is actually done often. Look and see how many times deadlifts are listed.

:eek:

I found two deadlifts. One says it targets your glutes, and the other says that it targets your erector spinae!

/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBDeadlift.html
/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

But here's the thing ... In the glutes deadlift, it says that your erector spinae are stabilizers! :scratch:

Is that why it says in the erector spinae deadlift that the target muscle is exercised isometrically?

stuward wrote:
The waist vice hips part maybe isn't as consistent as it could be. If you bend at the waist, that generally involves the hips.

But you can bend at the hips without bending at the waist, and vice-versa. :scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:36 pm 

I'm not debating with you. You have enough information to judge for yourself what is useful to you or not.