ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:17 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I figured I’d add something to the Toy section. After all, weight training is FUN....right?!?!?

Going heavy on Dumbbells when you train alone is not only difficult, but also dangerous. However, I’ve found a really awesome little tool (TOY) that makes things a lot easier.

The Dumbbell Power Hook!

http://www.prowriststraps.com/power_hoo ... power_hook

You strap these hooks to your dumbbell, load on the heavy weight, then hook the DBs to your barbell bar. Now you can safely get under them for heavy DB Benchpress, DB Flyes and DB Shoulder Presses with no worry of having to get them off the floor, get on your back, and then wrench them into place.

Plus, you can work harder and to near failure without having to worry about how you’re going to get out from under the DBs and off your back without dislocating your shoulder! Just hook them on the bar and you’re ready to get back up. Awesome toy......uh.....TOOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:54 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I don't think there's anything especially dangerous about training alone with heavy dumbbells. In fact, I never use a spotter for dumbbell exercises, even when I'm training with someone. The only time I'd recommend using a spotter for dumbbell presses is if your relatively new to an exercise.

Also, I don't see how the hooks would help someone to self-spot. You have to press the dumbbells nearly to full extension before you can hook them on the barbell. If someone gets stuck mid-rep it's very unlikely they'll be able to do that.

The only advantage I can see is that the hooks make it easier to get the dumbbells into position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:59 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

I've seen them around before, and actually made myself a pair of J hooks similar to it. The're not so convenient for spotting, but they sure make it much easier to grap the weight in a starting position without having to kick them up for various lying pressing movements. For the bench, I just hoise them, with hook on, hang the other end on a arbell, then lie down on the bench , grab them and go for it.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:34 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Matt Z wrote:
I don't think there's anything especially dangerous about training alone with heavy dumbbells. In fact, I never use a spotter for dumbbell exercises, even when I'm training with someone. The only time I'd recommend using a spotter for dumbbell presses is if your relatively new to an exercise.

Also, I don't see how the hooks would help someone to self-spot. You have to press the dumbbells nearly to full extension before you can hook them on the barbell. If someone gets stuck mid-rep it's very unlikely they'll be able to do that.

The only advantage I can see is that the hooks make it easier to get the dumbbells into position.

I worked to failure once with 120lb DBs on the Bench Press. I was alone. Upon failure, I couldn’t get the DBs up and they where stuck on my chest. I couldn’t do a “sit-up” with 240lbs on my chest since I was exhausted. I own the wooden floor I work out on, so I didn’t want to just throw the DBs down.......but in the end, that is what I had to do. In trying to drop them, I nearly strained my wrists, delts, and traps while I also knocked two large chunks out of the wooden floor (even though my bench is on top of a work mat).

After that little episode, I got the hooks. Now, I can go as heavy as I want and to complete failure. By setting the Barbell to the lowest setting, I need only move the DBs up 1” and a quick twist hooks them to the bar.

If you don’t work to absolute failure, or you have a partner, or you don’t mind throwing your DBs on the floor, then you probably would never understand the beauty of the hooks. I understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:20 pm 

You have a good point about dumping on your own wooden floor. That;'s why I go out in my back yard, I just have to make sure my two dog's aren't anywhere near when I dump.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:11 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Dumping on the ground isn't so bad! Heck, you can even get away with it once or twice in a gym. Well, at least Ronnie Coleman can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQsmwC4jSFY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds like your abs aren't strong enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:17 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Ironman wrote:
Sounds like your abs aren't strong enough.

LOL! Nice one.

When I work to failure, it's complete. Breathing heavy, rubbery muscles, total exhasution. I could have held them for a minute or so to catch my breath, but that is very uncomfortable. I'd been working with 110 DBs and could sit back up, but that day I went a bit too far.

That was a few years ago though. These days I don't go quite that heavy on DBs but instead superset them with heavy BB presses. With a superset, you don't have to go as heavy to get the same results.

Still, I thought I'd post about the hooks since I don't see many people talking about them, yet I see plenty of people working alone at home.

Maybe the hooks aren't for everyone, but no piece of equipment ever is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:21 pm 

Quote:

I think there is a couple that are. A bench and a power rack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The hooks are good for being able to rack the dumbbells overhead. A very nice piece of equipment. I just don't see the need to dump weights that's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:34 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Quote:

I think there is a couple that are. A bench and a power rack.

Nope. those only apply to weight lifters. Weight training isn't the only form of exercise that people do. When I was in martial arts, I knew many people that were "cut" and well developed but never stepped foot near a bench or power rack.

And for weight training, a power rack isn't required. Many benches or systems have high pegs for squats. You don't need a power rack to squat heavy.

There is resistance training done with body weight (push ups, chins, etc) where no bench is used. And of course tons of DB work where no bench is required. The floor press is a prime example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62cDQKVqcvc

Like the DB hooks, it just depends on what you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:41 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Ironman wrote:
The hooks are good for being able to rack the dumbbells overhead. A very nice piece of equipment. I just don't see the need to dump weights that's all.

Try absolute failure without a partner at home alone. Have you never pushed yourself so hard on a lift that your whole body was wiped out? Certainly I'm not the only one that trains that hard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:49 pm 

Quote:
Nope. those only apply to weight lifters.

This thread started with you talking about weightlifting equiptment so I said that under the implication that this thread wasn't referring to all people who exercise. Thats pretty obvious btw that equiptment only applies to weightlifters, just like how paint brushes only apply to artists (not a solid eexample but you get my point).

Its stupid not to use a power cage when you are squatting. I did that before and nearly got my neck crushed. Unless you have 3 trustworthy spotters that can get the bar off of you if you fail to do the rep then use a cage. Even then use it to prevent any catastrophic injuries such as a knee buckling and the weight falling on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:59 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Quote:
Nope. those only apply to weight lifters.

This thread started with you talking about weightlifting equiptment so I said that under the implication that this thread wasn't referring to all people who exercise. Thats pretty obvious btw that equiptment only applies to weightlifters, just like how paint brushes only apply to artists (not a solid eexample but you get my point).

Its stupid not to use a power cage when you are squatting. I did that before and nearly got my neck crushed. Unless you have 3 trustworthy spotters that can get the bar off of you if you fail to do the rep then use a cage. Even then use it to prevent any catastrophic injuries such as a knee buckling and the weight falling on you.

Even confined to weight training, you don't need a cage. You also don't need a bench. Plenty of work to be done without it. Even heavy chest can be done with weighted dips. The best back exercises don't require a bench. Arms and shoulders don't need a bench. Legs don't need a bench.

If you're worried about failure on the squat, you can do Front Squat, Hack Squat, or DB Squats as heavy as you like with no fear and no need for a cage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chris_A wrote:
Ironman wrote:

Try absolute failure without a partner at home alone. Have you never pushed yourself so hard on a lift that your whole body was wiped out? Certainly I'm not the only one that trains that hard?

I have. Chest front delts and triceps were fried, I could barley move them at all. However my abs and legs still worked great.