ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Training in a small room
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:14 pm 
n00b
n00b

I swim at least three times a week and I would like to make some "weightlifiting" exercise, not only as a complement for swimming, but also to achieve some toning in my muscles.
The thing is that I don't have much time. It would be therefore great to do that a home. Then another problem arises, for I don´t have much space at home... in fact, there´s some space in my room (ca. 2m x 2m).
That´s why I'm posting this question:

Do any of you have a suggestion to which machine, accesories (dumbells, ropes, etc.), would be the best for me?. Maybe I can even forget about machines (that would be the best for my case) and do some workout only with the aid of some accesories, or maybe even without them (like for example crunches for the abs). I'm looking forward to making a normal workout, three times a week, covering as many muscles as possible (paying special attention to the biggest ones, just as written in the general workouts described in this website). Maybe I could start trying without anything special and then increase intensity using some accesories... would that be possible?. Is there any workout that could be done without using accesories / machines?.

I'd be really thankful if you can give some advice concerning my problem.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Martin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:52 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

I would think, that you might be served best, with your conditions, with kettlebells or dumbells. The amount of exercises you could preform would be endless. The only problem might be, you might need mutiple pieces of equipmentIn that case, multiple DB handles, and lots of stackable plates might be the answer. I can't think of many machines that would fit the bill, but there might be some cable/pulley units out there these days that could. Might want to do a search on that. I have a set of Powerblocks, which are adjustable DB's, and up to 45 lbs, they are great. They take p only about a square foot, and are quickly adjusted, but nowadays, they are expensive. Just a few idea.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:04 am 

Some of the things that were mentioned in this thread http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5078 might be of interest to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:13 am 

In addition to DBs and kettlebells, which I think are excellent suggestions, you need a chin up bar. Something to do dips on is nice too. Some bands and/or tubing are great additions and very inexpensive and compact. Other useful accesories would be a box or 2 for step ups and a floor mat. For matting, a soft mat for floor exercises is good, but also a heavy horse stall mat to completely cover your floor would prevent damage to the floor from the kettlebells and dumbbells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:52 pm 
n00b
n00b

Got the dumbbells, got the mat, gotta get to work now!.

Thanks for your help.