Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Running on elliptical
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:03 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hello,

I just started a cardio routine in addition to my full-body workout. I do a full body workout on Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday and now I conclude by running for 20 minutes on the elliptical with a 3 minute warm-up and a 5 minute cool-down. Halfway through my cardio program on the elliptical I usually notice that both my arms and my back are stiff and my back is sort of hunched over the bars my hands are holding onto. Is there anyway I can get myself to relax while pushing myself hard enough to burn calories and increase my heart rate sufficiently?

Adrx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:55 pm 

It's called fatique and it's the state you want to reach. It means your body is stimulated and needs to adapt. Give yourself the nutrition and rest to recover and you'll get better at it and you'll be able to push harder.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:51 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Do you have any idea what constitutes how many calories I burn when running on the elliptical? Is it the resistance and ramp height or how fast you use the machine or even the total amount of time of the workout? Which is the main factor if there is one? Also, does it make a difference whether I use the handle-bars that move back and forth so that maybe I might feel a little more relaxed than I am currently? I know you said it was a natural result of the workout, but I was curious.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:13 pm 

Don't worry about the calories. They're trivial compared to what you can achieve with diet. What you want to achieve is an adaptation, and that requires progressive, challenging stimuli. You heart and lung capacity will increase and your stamina will improve, as long as you do it at a challenging pace.
http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/AdaptationCriteria.html

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley