ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fat Gripz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:05 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Fat Gripz are amazing! I highly recommend them. For fatbar stuff I was previously using doubled up lynx grips but Fat Gripz are in a different league. My forearms have never hated me so much. After doing some press and particularly row variations with them, my hands felt like I had been doing heavy rack pulls. Then came the forearm pump. One of my training partners bought them and we'll use them every Sat but, I'm ordering another pair because I want to use them more often (he only trains with us twice per week).

There are people that claim they've made a difference to the size of their whole arm. I'm not so sure about upper arm size but, I wouldn't be surprised. What I particularly like about fat bar/grip training is that a strong grip creates a strong rotator cuff.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:30 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I don't understand how it would really impact a press move very much? I see how it'd make pull moves harder though. Did it hurt your usual rep counts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:36 pm 

where'd you order them from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:15 am 

frogbyte wrote:
I don't understand how it would really impact a press move very much? I see how it'd make pull moves harder though. Did it hurt your usual rep counts?

Well, I thought that too and with my previous set up (doubled up lynx grips) i never noticed much of a difference. However, with fat gripz it's like holding onto a can of beer! It forces you to squeeze as much as possible, which is a great cue for pressing that not many people do. It may actually help in this regard. I think with pressing, you would notice it more when you went back to the normal bar. They deffinitly hurt your pulling a lot more but I think they would make everything harder - if not, then it certainly makes it 'different'.

Not sure about the rep count on pressing as we are doing a new exercise (for us, anyway). Just to see if it does anything, we are doing Close Grip-Fat-Bar-3-Board-Bench-Press. I couldn't use as much weight in comparison to lynx grips (20lbs less), however, we first done this exercise after pressing on deload week so, last week the main pressing exercise before it took more out of us (we're doing bench press before it).

With rowing - deffinitly. We done seated cable rows with a straight bar and pronated grip. Typically, I can do sets of 25-30, for 4-5 sets with the full stack plus a 7.5KG block you can add to the stack. With fat gripz, one set of 15 reps was my highest. I went for as many sets as I could (it was 'I go you go', staying above 10 reps, and got 7 sets.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:18 am 

robertscott wrote:

It was a training partner that got them. He got them from fatgripz.com. He says they ship to the UK from the UK (they must because they only took a few days to arrive). I've still to order my own (i can use his every fri/sat anyway).

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:27 am 

KPj wrote:
robertscott wrote:

It was a training partner that got them. He got them from fatgripz.com. He says they ship to the UK from the UK (they must because they only took a few days to arrive). I've still to order my own (i can use his every fri/sat anyway).

KPj

cheers mate, I wasn't sure if they shipped to the UK. Hmm, think I'll definitely treat myself to some of those, my grip strength is woeful! Already invested in some Captains of Crush grippers and started doing iso holds with those. Give it a few months I'll be popeye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:34 am 

just checked it out, 45 dollars for everything - payment and shipping (shipping's only 6 dollars).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:42 am 

That sounds right - He told me it was [1 million dollars] all in.

You won't regret buying them especially if grip/forearm training is a weak link. It's not for me, to be honest. My grip hasn't held me back since I started strength training and my forearms make my upper arms look even smaller. I'm still getting my own pair though!

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:48 am 

yeah just ordered some, [1 million dollars] is right. Going to use them for pretty much everything. Not sure if i'll use them for deadlifting though seeing as that's the exercise I'm wanting to strengthen my grip for in the first place.

particularly looking forward to using them for reverse curls, i reckon that'll be the shiznit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:11 am 

Good stuff. You'll love them. Using them with Deadlifts would be brutal. You'll see what I mean you get them - much thicker than you imagine them to be.

You can get carried away with what you use them with - fat bar concentration curls, fat bar kick backs, fat bar crosstrainer, fat bar hip abduction machines. The options are endless :grin:

KPj

p.s wish I could get some kind of commision. 2 other guys in my gym just ordered them. Another wants to try them out and i know once he tries them he'll order a pair. My older-brother-inlaw also going to try them. I know he'll want a pair. Then it'll spread into his gym....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:11 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Some of my dumbbells are ergonomically curved, going from 1 inch diameter on the end to 1.5 inch diameter in the middle I'd guess. Will they fit on something shaped like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:34 pm 

I like the Fat Gripz as well. My only problem with them has been that they are just perfectly sized for a dumbbell handle, so if you've got a short handle, or a short pullup bar hand space (like the ones of the Elite FTS collegiate racks at my gym), etc. they just don't fit.

But they are nice and they are pretty easy to grip. They don't slip as much as the Tyler Grips I also use. The upside for me for the Tyler Grips is that they slant for a "natural" grip, and if you reverse them, it's just like trying to grab a bigger guy's arm in grappling.

But the Fat Gripz are pretty excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:13 am 

I've never used Tyler grips to compare but they look really good aswell.

Also not sure about putting Fat Gripz on a curved DB. I know they are very tight so it might do the job i.e. when your grip is really hammered, you struggle to get the gripz off the bar - I would imagine you would get away with it for rows, atleast. If they weren't secure I wouldn't risk it with presses.

Our DB's are strange. Once they get to 42KG, the handles are twice as thick. I've always liked this because you don't see many people doing rows without straps on 42KG plus. They used to hammer my grip and the jump from 40's to 42's always seemed bigger than it was due to this. We put the fat gripz on the those just to see and, I could only get 1 good rep where as, without fat gripz I can rep 50's (heaviest we've got, unfortunately). The good thing is I won't feel as limited now. Put the Fat Gripz on and i'm back down to 40-ish DB's. What I want to do now is progress to 50's with the gripz on then take them off and see how light it feels!

KPj