ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:23 am 
Novice
Novice

A coworker of mine had a shoulder injury a few months back and last PT session, got her shoulders taped to keep them in good posture (i.e. No rounding forward) while things kept healing.

It got me wondering....

To help facilitate good posture, would it work to tape your shoulders in good posture after a workout day where you targeted your shoulders (primarily posterior in this case) and upper back? That way your muscles are healing and recovering in the proper position, but taking the tape off after only a couple days wouldn't be enough to cause any postural muscles to weaken due to the tape taking their place functionally.

Sounds good at first thought but I'm curious what other POV's there are that I'm not seeing....

Also as a secondary question, how does exercise tape normally work? I see people wearing it for crossfit games, etc. so what does it DO?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:18 pm 

Some would say it doesn't work, but here's an article that goes into some depth. http://science.howstuffworks.com/kinesiology-tape.htm

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:35 am 
Novice
Novice

Not a bad surface article Stuward, but definitely brand biased. Is what the article states, the main purpose of all athletic tape? Or just the kinesio tape? And how might it pertain to posture?