ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:23 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hello everyone, I just wanted to post something that has been on my mind for quite some time. I have a friend who is into home gym bodybuilding/training. He is single and due to not having too many obligations can spend higher amounts of money on better equipment. Me, not so much. I'm married with three kids and pay a mortgage blah blah blah. Well, here's the thing, much of the equipment that I have is not the "heavy duty" types like Ivanko, Parabody, or York. My budget allowed for Weider, Impex, and for boxing stuff Everlast. Now my issue is that I'm not a powerlifter or strongman type. I may come close to the weight limits of the exercise equipment, but I'm a far cry from exceeding the limits. My arguement to him is that if I'm not endangering myself by exceeding the limits of my equipment, why should I consider upgrading it? I'm not running a commercial gym in my home, why should I have commercial grade equipment? Anyone agree or disagree? Let's talk.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:33 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

If your equipment is holding back your progress, you may want to upgrade (or join a gym). If not, I don't see any compelling reason to replace it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't buy real expensive stuff either. Take my leg press for example, it can only hold 400lbs, but it is vertical, so it's significantly more difficult than a 45 degree sled, and I just do 1 leg at a time. I'm fairly strong for a bodybuilder, but I can't vertical press anywhere near 400 lbs. I can do 260 lbs for reps, which for me is equal to doing pistols with 50 lbs strapped to me. It doubles as a calf press too, and half my plates are used, the other half are an off brand.

For vertical pull, I have chin up/pull up bar I got for $20 on amazon, and a dip belt that cost about the same.

I do have a complete Powerblock set (all stages), but not the coated model. It did cost me $1K, but compared to a dumbbell set that goes up to 135's, it's quite cheap. My stands for them are two stacks of two cinder blocks, which were free. My bench is actually my wife's, which she had before we even met. It's one of those cheap fold up things too.

I got a standard curl bar for $25, mainly as a way to make use of the plates I had from some adjustable dumbbells I had been using in the past. Stuff I got for cheap at wal-mart I might add.

You only spend as much as you have to. There is no reason to buy stuff that is meant for high capacity and withstanding abuse, when those are not issues you need to address.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:23 am 
Novice
Novice

Thank you Ironman and Matt Z. I had once read that results come from effort, intensity and smart training not newfangled equipment. Ironman I really like what you said about the vertical leg press as I have a Yukon one. This same friend who initially teased me about it when I got it bought one himself! But the V-Legpress that he has is a different brand and of a higher gauge steel (Gym quality). I've tried to explain to him over the years that it's not the equipment that does the work....you do. Thanks guys for your replies and happy training gentlemen!