ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:07 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

When does adulthood begin? Puberty? 18? 21? 25? 30? 35? It seems that as time goes by the age at which society acknowledges young people as adults keeps getting pushed back. When is it ever going to stop? I'm a 26 years old, married, college graduate with a steady job and a young son and I'm sick and tired of people refering to me as a kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have found it is relative to age. I have found older people refer to people in their 40's as kids. As far as maturity some people really don't grow up all the way until they are 30. Then some people never grow up. I have noticed people stay child-like longer now. When I compare people today to how I was at that age, there is a huge difference. So many 18 year olds act like they are 12. Lot's of people act like high school kids well into their 20's.

I would think it will start dying off. By the time you start getting close to 30 it should be over with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:37 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Matt, I refer to just about anybody under 50 as a kid, but not in a bad way. You are right , however, about the way society looks at the issue. I was just watching one of the morning shows yesterday, and some self-[roclaimed guru was saying that the brain doesn't fully develope, allowing good decision making, until about age 24-25. Souds like excuses to me.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:25 am 

Im 17 but I was once told by a wise man that the day you are no longer called a kid, that you are old.... So basically he meant just enjoy it while you have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:48 pm 

The funny thing is that it mostly seems to be coming from my parents generation (though not my actual parents), while people my grandparents age seem much more likely to see and treat young people as adults. Sometimes I wonder if a lot of Baby Boomers are reluctant to acknowledge that their kids are growing up, because that would mean accepting that they are getting older.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:01 pm 

I think socio-economic factors also play a role. It's gotten a lot harder in recent years for young people to establish themselves. Wages haven't kept pace with the cost of living, college loans are more expensive than ever, and a degree isn't worth what it once was. However, for some reason, many baby boomers are reluctant to accept this. Often they prefer to see young adults as lazy and spoiled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, I've noticed that about them. It's because that's how they were at that age. And the getting older thing has a lot to do with it too I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:28 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I remember wondering this years ago. In fact, what I used ask myself is, at one point do you become a man? I was asking myself at 18, as I felt that I was not a "man", and was wondered at what point I would feel like a man. At some point I stopped wondering, and now I guess that was the time that I progressed from boy to man, and therefore that is when adulthood starts. Adulthood starts when you no longer ask, "when does adulthood start?" as by the time you are an adult, you'll be worrying about too many other things to ask!

But I agree with the above - boys never really grow up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:55 am 

I've considered myself an adult for a long time, and I deeply resent being talked down to and/or treated like a child. I also find it very frustrating when people make excuses for the bad behavior of some young adults (especially young celebrities). I understand that kids (actual kids) do some really stupid things sometimes, and that it's often a normal part of growing up, but at some point young people need to be held accountable for their actions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:43 am 

On that point of young adults acting stupid, I couldn't believe what I saw on one of the TV talk shows yesterday. Britney is out doing her thing again, and some self righteous physician, who was pushing a new book, came out and said it's her diet, she goes to Starbucks 8 times a day, too much caffeine and sugar, then goes out for junk food. OK, I have no doubt that may be a contributing factor, but someone who goes out,shaves their head, attacks paparrazi with an umbrella after inviting them over, gives beaver shots to magazine writers is whacked out in the first place. Can't blame that on caffeine and sugar alone. Add to the mix those other two idiots she was hanging out with. Lohanand Hilton, maybe they are a partial cause.
I do know that the brain doesn't fully mature until the early 20's in most cases, something they are just now becoming aware of.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:06 pm 

I can't believe she isn't diabetic yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:15 pm 

Sugar and caffeine? Maybe if she was 5. Britney Spears is my age. Paris Hilton is older. With all the coke and booze, I think sugar and caffeine are the least of their worries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:46 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just stay happy until people start referring to your age as years young.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:55 pm 
former lurker

I was really hoping to never be an adult. Unfortunately, I didn't have a choice in the matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:07 pm 

responsibility. That makes you an adult and how you view things. I have two kids and im 23 and in all reality i feel 35. I don't like to party or go out all night I want to be home with my family. I love to spend time with my kids. I think when you look at people your age and think they're childish or irresponsible you may be an adult. People always think im 31-32 and im 23. NOT a good thing. Sometimes its looks most of the time its how you act. Usually I don't even bring up my age and people assume I'm older. I think adult hood begins when you have to make decisions on a regular basis that have more impact then what your next meal will be. Responsibility and the not caring of what others think of you. Your 26 your an adult who cares how other people view you. Take care of yourself and your kids and your more adult then most.