ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:54 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Between Brian Mulroney and the Airbus scandal and Jean Chretien and the sponsorship scandal it's a good thing Canada doesn't have the military and political power that the US can weild. I doubt we would do much better than Bush/Clinton, et al. Then again, maybe it's just politicians from Quebec. Then again, I don't trust Stephen Harper either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:13 am 

Maybe it's just politicians from earth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:54 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Gay men, lesbian women, that won't solve the world's warring problems. They'll continue to fight amongst themselves and drag the rest of us with them as the wars escalate.

But you are on the right track. Historically, alot of the world's conflicts domestically or internationally is rooted in sex. It's the testosterone. If after fathering two children, a man would be castrated. Then there would be no more infidelity, no more machismo, no more territorial conflicts, power struggles, material wants, no more wars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:56 pm 

If you want to volunteer your "manhood" for the sake of world peace then be my guest...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:17 pm 

If someone tries to castrate me, there's going to be a whole lot of voilence. That much I'm sure of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:18 pm 

Jeeze Matt I thought you were dead...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:29 pm 

What gave you that idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:34 pm 

You disapeared off the face of the planet for about a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:23 pm 

Yeah, I had the flu. Fevers, body aches and a nasty cough. I missed about a week and a half of training, but I'm feeling much better now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tostig wrote:
Gay men, lesbian women, that won't solve the world's warring problems. They'll continue to fight amongst themselves and drag the rest of us with them as the wars escalate.

But you are on the right track. Historically, alot of the world's conflicts domestically or internationally is rooted in sex. It's the testosterone. If after fathering two children, a man would be castrated. Then there would be no more infidelity, no more machismo, no more territorial conflicts, power struggles, material wants, no more wars.

You are out of your mind. Show me how testosterone has anything to do with it. You could even just show me how sex has anything to do with it. I fail to see how mutilation is a remedy for anything. It is also perfectly clear that religion is the cause of the vast majority of conflicts. In the cases where it isn't, there is always a very strong ideology with the usual accompanying brainwashing.

Low testosterone has also been linked to a whole host of aged related health problems in older men. Having none would cause some really nasty hormonal imbalances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:45 am 

Ironman something we agree on. I don't want to offend anyone but I seen this lady at my work with this smudge on her forehead right? I was thinking maybe her head got stuck in the printer and noone had the nerve to tell her she had ink on her forehead. I tell her like hey sherry you have something on your forehead and was about to wipe it off shes like ohhh no its ash wenesday. I'm like OK. I would like their to be a god I doubt it. So I don't believe. Plus seeing people put ash on their foreheads like some being high above would want that? Seems cultish to me. Once again no one take offense. I love religious people, I'm just not that naiive? I don't know. Religion and politics definitely two touchy subjects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:18 pm 

Cultish? Cults tend to be referred to in a negative sense. People putting ashes on their heads including me is no more than expressing our religous beliefs. People who are catholic don't push the religon on people. The only ones who do are nut jobs who do everything in the name of jesus, which those are the people who make it a cult. Do some searching on Scientology youtube videos internet sites. They are a true cult. You have to pay literally thousands of $$ to be apart of that group. Catholic's all you really need to do is join a conformation class and make donations at your willing. I'm giving you my view point on the whole thing.

Definition of cult.
-A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

-The followers of such a religion or sect.

-Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
The object of such devotion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The definition of cult does kind of work for any religion. If they are truly followed as written anyway. However many people cherry pick which bits to follow and which to ignore so the way they practice isn't extreme or cult like.

Catholics can be just as bad as any other religious extremists. I am a recovering Catholic myself. I have known plenty of Catholics who are way out there. Ironmaiden, the Catholics you are talking about are what I call the fish fry Catholics. They go to Church every Sunday, but they don't take it too seriously and they are more into Family, Fish fries, beer and backyard barbecues. I know some of those kind of Catholics too.

Technically, the fundies are the ones doing right. Think about it. Was Jesus just sort of the son of God? Did he just kind of die for our sins a little bit? Is heaven and hell just sort of real? Is the Bible something you should just kind of follow a couple bits of a little bit but not take it too seriously?

But of course the moderate believers are *MUCH* easier to live with.

Just get your bible out and read it cover to cover and you will understand what I am talking about. You'll probably actually enjoy some parts of it. They did cut out some of the best bits in the 3rd or 4th century for continuity reasons as well as preference of the powers that be at the time. Revelations is really a literary masterpiece though. If you like Poe or Bradbury, it should be quite a treat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:25 am 

I have read that the bible was made by man. Obviously it has to be but certain things were left out. The burning of alexandria supposedly cemented this "king james" version of the bible because they burned any other copy. I have read a lot of things that contradict so much. The funny thing is there are so many religions and beliefs but why did they take away in god we trust? Its kind of vague since there were "gods" in ancient greek times. I don't know. I was babtised catholic but I thought the whole thing some joke hence me goofing around and being a moron on camera when i was six during my first communion. I went as far as my confession but it still seemed wierd to me telling some old guy something bad i did. Which was steal the lighters from my mother and father and break them so they would quit smoking. Which didn't work but I tried. In my opinion its about having something more than yourself. The reason for life haha well its to live be as successful as possible be happy raise a family and have fun without being an a$$hole to anyone and helping people when you can. And then eventually going to whatever lies beyond. blah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:46 pm 

I don't get it. You say you don't like religion, because religion breeds intolerance. Meanwhile, you're intolerant of all religions, and look down on anyone who's beliefs are different from your own. How is that any better?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next